April 10, 2016
- Read the April issue of Hawk Talk Monthly
- Download your Hawk Talk Monthly iOS app
- Download your Hawk Talk Monthly android app
- Download your Iowa Hawkeye iPad and iPhone app!
- Download your Iowa Hawkeye Android app!
- Big Ten Network: Free Hawkeye Video
- 24 Hawkeyes to Watch
STATE COLLEGE, Pa. – The University of Iowa women’s tennis team dropped a close decision to Penn State University, 4-3, in a four hour battle Sunday afternoon at the Indoor Tennis Center in State College, Pennsylvania.
Sophomores Anastasia Reimchen and Zoe Douglas fell, 6-3, to Kimberley Surin and Devan McCluskey in the No. 1 doubles spot. Annette Dohanics and Montana Crawford dropped, 6-4, to Jacqueline Zuhse and Katherine Whiteaway, solidifying the doubles point for Penn State.
“This was the best we’ve played on the road all year and had a great performance today out of our freshmen,” said UI head coach Katie Dougherty. “It’s tricky to play indoors at Penn State with only four courts and 1, 2, 5, 6 going on first we were in a 3-1 hole early and able to battle back to 3-3.”
The Hawkeyes fought back in singles, winning three singles matches. Anastasia Reimchen defeated Ekaterina Blik, 6-4, 6-2, on court No. 2. Kristen Thoms knocked off Devan McCluskey, 6-1 in both sets in the No. 3 singles position.
Adorabol Huckleby battled a close match against Samantha Tutelman, eventually winning in three sets, 4-6, 7-6, 6-4.
“Adorabol did a great job coming back from being down in the third set to get us the third point,” said Dougherty. “The doubles point was close and proved key in all of 4-3 losses this year. We’ve had a thin margin for error and haven’t been able to close out the tight matches.”
Annette Dohanics fell in the final singles match for Iowa, dropping a close match, 7-6, 6-1, at No. 4. Zoe Douglas fell at No. 1 singles, 6-4, 6-1, to Kimberley Surin. Daria Sapogova defeated Junior Aimee Tarun in a close match of three sets, 3-6, 6-1, 6-1.
“I am proud of how the team competed out there and know we’ll bounce back with even better tennis next weekend,” said Dougherty.
The Hawkeyes return to the court Friday afternoon at the Hawkeye Tennis and Recreation Complex, taking on the Michigan Wolverines at 2:30 p.m. (CT). Admission is free.
IOWA 3, Penn State 4
1. Kimberley Surin (PSU) def. Zoe Douglas (IOWA), 6-4, 6-1
2. Anastasia Reimchen (IOWA) def. Ekaterina Blik (PSU), 6-4, 6-2
3. Kristen Thoms (IOWA) def. Devan McCluskey (PSU), 6-1, 6-1
4. Jacqueline Zuhse (PSU) def. Annette Dohanics (IOWA), 7-6, 6-1
5. Daria Sapogova (PSU) def. Aimee Tarun (IOWA), 3-6, 6-1, 6-1
6. Adorabol Huckleby (IOWA) def. Samantha Tutelman (PSU), 4-6, 7-6, 6-4
Order of Finish (2, 1, 5, 3, 6, 4)
1. Surin/McCluskey (PSU) def. Reimchen/Douglas (IOWA), 6-3
2. Tarun/Huckleby (IOWA) def. Blik/Tutelman (PSU), 6-2
3. Zuhse/Whiteaway (PSU) def. Dohanics/Crawford (IOWA), 6-3
Order of Finish (3, 2, 1)