April 15, 2016
- Read the April issue of Hawk Talk Monthly
- Download your Hawk Talk Monthly iOS app
- Download your Hawk Talk Monthly android app
- Download your Iowa Hawkeye iPad and iPhone app!
- Download your Iowa Hawkeye Android app!
- Big Ten Network: Free Hawkeye Video
- 24 Hawkeyes to Watch
IOWA CITY, Iowa — The University of Iowa women’s tennis team dropped, 6-1, to the ninth-ranked University of Michigan Friday afternoon at the Hawkeye Tennis and Recreation Complex.
Michigan won the doubles point to start the afternoon match, Annette Dohanics and Montana Crawford were the first doubles combination in for Iowa, fell 6-3 to Michigan’s Ronit Yurovsky and Sara Remynse at No. 3 doubles. Adorabol Huckleby and Aimee Tarun followed, falling 6-2 to Mira Ruder-Hook and Alex Najarian.
No. 49 ranked doubles Anastasia Reimchen and Zoe Douglas fought a close match against Brienne Minor and Kate Fahey, slipping 7-5 to Michigans No. 1 doubles combination. Michigan led 1-0 entering singles play.
“We competed well this evening and just came up short against a strong Michigan team,” said UI head coach Katie Dougherty.
Junior Aimee Tarun was the first Hawkeye off the court in singles, falling 6-0 in both sets to Mira Ruder-Hook at the No. 4 singles spot. Freshman Adorabol Huckleby fell 6-2 in both sets at the No. 5 singles position.
At No. 1 singles, Anastasia Reimchen fell to Ronit Yurovsky of Michigan, 6-1, 6-3. Montana Crawford fought at close match, winning, 6-2, 3-6, 10-6, giving Iowa their only singles victory for the match.
“Montana did a great job picking up her first Big Ten win,” said Dougherty. “We have been improving steadily and I expect a great match Sunday against MSU.”
The Hawkeyes return to the court Sunday for the final home match of the season, hosting the Michigan State Spartans at 12 p.m. (CT). Admission is free. We will honor senior Annette Dohanics following the match.
IOWA 1, Michigan 6
1. Ronit Yurovsky (Mich) def. Anastasia Reimchen (IOWA), 6-1, 6-3
2. Brienne Minor (Mich) def. Zoe Douglas (IOWA), 6-1, 7-5
3. Kate Fahey (Mich) def. Kristen Thoms (IOWA), 6-3, 6-3
4. Mira Ruder-Hook (Mich) def. Aimee Tarun (IOWA), 6-0, 6-0
5. Alex Najarian (Mich) def. Adorabol Huckleby (IOWA), 6-2, 6-2
6. Montana Crawford (IOWA) def. Kara Hall (Mich), 6-2, 3-6, 10-6
Order of Finish (4, 5, 1, 6, 2, 3)
1. Minor/Fahey (Mich) def. Reimchen/Douglas (IOWA), 7-5
2. Ruder-Hook/Najarian (Mich) def. Huckleby/Tarun (IOWA), 6-2
3. Yurovsky/Remynse (Mich) def. Crawford/Dohanics (IOWA), 6-3
Order of Finish (3, 2, 1)