IOWA CITY, Iowa — The University of Iowa men’s tennis team completed a doubleheader sweep Friday evening with a 5-2 triumph over Denver University at the Hawkeye Tennis & Recreation Complex (HTRC).
Redshirt sophomore Kareem Allaf and junior Jonas Larsen dropped Denver’s No. 1 doubles team, 6-1, to get things going for the home squad. Will Davies and Piotr Smietana secured the doubles win for Iowa with a 6-4 win on court two. The victory was the freshmen’s team-best sixth consecutive doubles win.
After Josh Silverstein and Larsen dropped the first two singles matches on courts one and five, respectively, Iowa won the final four matches.
Davies picked up his season-best third straight singles win on court six. Allaf recorded a straight set win over Denver’s Matt Summers on court four.
The HTRC erupted when Smietana had the comeback of the night. After losing the first set, the Poland native won sets two and three, 6-3 and 6-2, respectively, to clinch the match for the Black and Gold. Freshman Joe Tyler rounded out the win with a three-set victory on court three, including a 10-8 tiebreak in set three.
BY THE NUMBERS
Iowa, who has won four straight matches, has won the doubles point for the eighth time in ten matches this spring.
The Hawkeyes head east to take on Dartmouth of the Ivy League on Feb. 24. First serve is set for 1 p.m. (ET) in Hanover, New Hampshire.
QUOTING HEAD COACH ROSS WILSON
“I am really happy with the way we played. We had another good performance in doubles today. No. 1 doubles continues to play well, doing the basics well, making first serves, nice returns, and being able to put balls away at the net. It’s great to see them play well and at No. 2 doubles, too.”
Iowa 5, Denver 2
Feb. 16, 2018 | 6 p.m. | Iowa City, Iowa | HTRC
1. Mattia Ros (DEN) def. Josh Silverstein (UI): 6-4, 6-2
2. Piotr Smietana (UI) def. Eric Morris (DEN): 3-6, 6-3, 6-2
3. Joe Tyler (UI) def. Jorge Nunez (DEN): 1-6, 6-4, 7-6(8)
4. Kareem Allaf (UI) def. Matt Summers (DEN): 6-3, 6-3
5. Pedro F. Del Valle (DEN) def. Jonas Larsen (UI): 6-1, 6-2
6. Will Davies (UI) def. Sean Huynh (DEN): 6-2, 6-3
1. Allaf/Larsen (UI) def. Ruder-Hook/Summers (DEN): 6-1
2. Smietana/Davies (UI) def. Ros/Nunez (DEN): 6-4
3. Del Valle/Morris (DEN) def. Tyler/Jacoby (UI): 6-3
Order of finish: Doubles (1,3,2); Singles (5,1,6,4,2,3)