Hawk Talk Monthly — February 2018 | 24 Hawkeyes to Watch — 2017-18 Season | Hawkeye Fan Shop — A Black & Gold Store – https://hawkeyefanshop.com/?utm_source=HawkeyeSports&utm_medium=HawkeyeSports&utm_campaign=HawkeyeSports | Game Notes (PDF)
The University of Iowa softball team travels to Phoenix, Arizona, for the Grand Canyon Invitational this March 10-12. The Hawkeyes will play two games against Georgetown and three against the host Antelopes in the three-day tournament. The Grand Canyon Invitational will be held at the GCU Softball Stadium on the campus of Grand Canyon University.
**All times Central Standard**
Saturday, March 10
12 p.m. – Iowa vs. Georgetown
2:30 p.m. – Iowa at Grand Canyon
Sunday, March 11
11 a.m. – Iowa vs. Georgetown
1:30 p.m. – Iowa at Grand Canyon
Monday, March 12
9 p.m. – Iowa at Grand Canyon
- Freshman Aralee Bogar has 11 hits, nine runs, eight stolen bases, and a .289 batting average through her first three weekends in black and gold. She also has a .395 slugging percentage and a .325 on-base percentage.
- In week two action, Bogar improved to six hits, four runs, and a .353 batting average.
- Bogar is tied for third in the Big Ten with eight stolen bases. She is currenly 8-for-8 on stolen base attempts.
WOOD AT THE DISH
- Senior Allie Wood led the Hawkeyes at the plate at the Judi Garman Classic from March 2-4.
- Wood finished the weekend with a .367 batting average.
- The Cypress, Calif., native collected four hits in eleven at bats. She registered a double, a home run, and three RBI.
- Sophomore pitcher Allison Doocy’s ERA of 1.58 is currently the seventh-lowest ERA in the Big Ten.
- Opposing batters are hitting .240 against Doocy – one of the lowest averages in the conference.
- The Ankeny, Iowa, native has allowed just 37 hits in six games this season.
- She has collected 42 strikeouts this season – eight of those against then-No. 8 Baylor, leading Iowa to a 3-1 win over the Bears.
SCHNEIDER GOES YARD
- Sophomore McKenzie Schneider hit her first home run of the season at the Judi Garman Classic on March 4.
- The Southlake, Texas native sent a two-run shot deep over the right-center field wall in Iowa’s 3-1 win over then-No. 8 Baylor.
- The homer was the second of her career.
- The Hawkeyes defeated then-No. 8 Baylor, 3-1, in their final game at the Judi Garman Classic on March 4.
- Two of sophomore pitcher, Allison Doocy’s eight strikeouts were against Baylor’s Carlee Wallace, who had only struck out twice in 30 at-bats before Sunday’s matchup.
- The win was Iowa’s first over a top 10 team since beating then-No. 4 Michigan in Ann Arbor on March 29, 2015.
- Five Hawkeyes — Sarah Kurtz (2), Wood (2), Devin Cantu (1), Monteer (1), and Schneider (1) — collected hits in the game.
- Three Hawkeyes threw complete games at the Texas A&M Invitational: freshman Lauren Shaw, sohpomore Allison Doocy, and junior Erin Riding.
- On Friday, Doocy (2-2) allowed just two hits in Iowa’s 2-1 victory over Tulsa. The Ankeny, Iowa native tied a career-best 10 strikeouts in the game.
- Riding (1-0) threw a five inning run rule performance on Saturday against Butler. She gave up two hits and no walks in the 8-0 win.
- Shaw wrapped up the weekend with an 11-3 triumph over Tulsa on Sunday. She allowed just three runs on three hits and an error.
- Doocy also threw two complete games at the Judi Garman Classic. She pitched a total of 15.2 innings and went 1-1 on the weekend.
- Georgetown is 13-10 overall after notching wins over South Dakota and Valparaiso at the Lopes Up Classic March 2-6.
- Freshman Savannah Jones leads the team with five doubles and 10 RBIs. She has seven runs on 18 hits this season.
- In the circle, Anna Brooks Pacha has 47 strikeouts and a 3.42 ERA over 47.1 innings pitched.
- Grand Canyon is 5-12 overall after picking up a pair of wins at the District Classic March 3 and 4.
- Sisters Shea and Sierra Smith lead the team with 32 hits in 74 at bats, each. Sierra has 24 RBI while Shea has 17.
- In the circle, Alexa Coons has 31 strikeouts and a 3.02 ERA over 48.2 innings pitched.
IN THE RANKINGS — B1G
Two Big Ten teams appear in the USA Today/NFCA Coaches Softball poll released on March 6. No. 16 Ohio State and No. 22 Michigan are ranked within the top 25, while Minnesota and Nebraska recieved votes but did not make the list.
The Hawkeyes will continue to produce their blog, The Dugout, for the 2018 season. The blog provides fans the opportunity to connect with the student-athletes, coaches, and staff around the Hawkeye softball program. The Dugout aims to deliver a unique insight into the lives of the Iowa softball team. Each week, The Dugout features a different softball student-athlete, coach, or support staff member. To see the latest post, visit hawkeyesports.com.
- General Admission (Public) – $15
- General Admission (Fac/Staff) – $12
- Season tickets are available at hawkeyesports.com/tickets, by calling 1-800-IA-HAWKS, or at the UI Athletics Ticket Office at the north entrance of Carver-Hawkeye Arena.
The Hawkeyes travel to Tempe, Arizona for a doubleheader against No. 14 Arizona State on March 14 beginning at 6 p.m. (CT).
FOLLOW THE HAWKEYES
For all of the latest news and information on Iowa softball, visit hawkeyesports.com. Fans can also follow the program on its social media outlets at Facebook.com/iowahawkeyessoftball and @iowasoftball on Twitter and Instagram.
Live Stats / Live Streaming
Live stats and live streaming links for each game are on the softball schedule page at hawkeyesports.com. Live streaming will be available for all three games against Grand Canyon University.