The University of Iowa softball team returns home to host Minnesota in a weekend series beginning on Friday at 5 p.m. (CT). Game two of the series is slated for Saturday at 2 p.m., with the series finale set for Sunday at 1 p.m.
THOMPSON ON TOP
- Sophomore Lea Thompson leads the Hawkeyes with a .368 batting average and a .368 slugging percentage.
- In the last five games Thompson has led Iowa with a .500 batting average and scored two runs on seven hits for a .500 slugging percentage.
- She collected her seventh stolen base of the season in game two of Iowa’s sweep of Wisconsin.
- Doocy strikeout tracker: 153 in 137.0 innings pitched.
- Doocy leads Iowa with a 1.33 ERA and 153 strikeouts in 137.0 innings of action.
- The Ankeny, Iowa, native is third in the Big Ten with a 1.33 ERA and 153 strikeouts.
- She went 2-0 in the circle with a 1.50 ERA and two compete games, throwing 18 strikeouts in 14 innings, helping the Hawkeyes sweep their weekend series against Wisconsin.
- After pitching a shutout game against Wisconsin, throwing 18 strikeouts in a combined 14 innings, and aiding the Hawkeye in their sweep of the Badgers, Doocy was named Big Ten Pitcher of the Week (April 9). It is the second time she has received the honor.
- Doocy was also selected as the College Sports Madness Big Ten Player of the Week on April 9.
- Doocy led Iowa to a 4-3 win over 17th-ranked Michigan, ending the Wolverines 18-game win streak.
- After a career-high 15 strikeouts and a 2-0 weekend, Doocy was named co-Big Ten Pitcher of the Week on March 12.
- This was the first pitcher of the week award for Doocy and the first time a Hawkeye has earned the honor since Kayla Massey on March 31, 2014.
- Doocy was also selected as the College Sports Madness Big Ten Player of the Week on March 12.
- Freshman Aralee Bogar has 33 hits, 21 runs, 16 stolen bases, and a .282 batting average during her time in Black and Gold.
- Bogar leads Iowa with 21 runs and 16 stolen bases.
- She is fourth in the Big Ten with 16 stolen bases. She is currently a perfect 16-for-16 in stolen base attempts. She is the only student-athlete in the top five with a perfect stolen base percentage.
- Bogar is also fourth in conference action with four triples this season.
- She helped the Hawkeyes in their series sweep over Wisconsin when she hit her first career home run in game three.
WOOD AT THE DISH
- Senior Allie Wood leads the Hawkeyes with seven doubles, two triples, and 18 RBIs.
- Wood hit her fourth home run of the season in Iowa’s series finale against Wisconsin.
- She led the Hawkeyes at the plate against the 13th-ranked Sun Devils on March 14. Wood had two hits with a double for a .400 batting average.
HOW SWEEP IT IS
- On April 8 and 9 the Hawkeyes swept Wisconsin for the first time since 2010.
- In game two, Iowa trailed Wisconsin by three runs in the bottom of the seventh when the Hawkeyes came back and scored four runs and the victory.
- Three Hawkeyes hit home runs in the series finale, including senior Allie Wood, freshman Aralee Bogar, and senior Angela Schmiederer.
- The last time three Hawkeyes hit homers in a single game was April 6, 2016 when Iowa defeated Purdue, 10-3.
- This is Iowa’s first Big Ten sweep of the season and its first since sweeping Nebraska last season (April 12).
- Sophomore McKenzie Schneider hit her first career triple and registered her ninth RBI of the season to give Iowa the advantage in its 4-3 win over No. 17 Michigan, ending the Wolverines 18-game win streak.
- Schneider hit a solo home run in game two of Iowa’s weekend series against Wisconsin. The homer was her third this season.
- The Hawkeyes are 3-0 when Schneider hits a home run.
- The Southlake, Texas, native sent a two-run shot deep over the right-center field wall in Iowa’s 3-1 win over No. 8 Baylor.
- Schneider hit her second home run of the season — and the first grand slam of her career — to lift Iowa to a 4-3 victory over Creighton on March 17.
KILIAN KILLIN’ IT
- Junior Mallory Kilian leads Iowa with a .510 slugging percentage and five home runs. She has a career-high five stolen bases and 18 runs scored.
- The Fort Dodge, Iowa, native hit her team-leading fifth home run of the season against Maryland on March 31.
- She recorded Iowa’s first home run at Pearl Field for the 2018 season against South Dakota State on March 21. It was her fourth homer of the season and the ninth of her career.
- The Gophers are 21-14 overall and 4-3 in the Big Ten.
- Makenna Partain and Kendyl Lindaman lead Minnesota with .352 and .316 batting averages, respectively. They are tied with a team-leading 24 runs scored.
- Partain has eight doubles, three triples, and four homers with 28 RBI this season.
- Lindaman is second in the conference with 13 home runs and has a team-leading 29 RBI.
- In the circle, Amber Fiser owns a 1.97 ERA with 156 strikeouts in 145.2 innings pitched.
TOP 25 VICTORIES
- The Hawkeyes picked up their third win over a ranked opponent on March 23 when they defeated No. 17 Michigan, 4-3, ending the Wolverines 18-game win streak.
- After defeating No. 8 Baylor, 3-1, in their final game at the Judi Garman Classic on March 4, the Hawkeyes topped No. 13 Arizona State in Tempe, Arizona, on March 14.
- Sophomore pitcher Allison Doocy earned all three wins for the Hawkeyes.
- This is the first time Iowa has defeated three ranked opponents in a season since 2015 when Iowa topped No. 17 UCF (3-2), No. 4 Michigan (6-4) and No. 12 Minnesota (2-0) at the Big Ten Tournament.
- Four Hawkeyes have thrown complete games this season: freshman Lauren Shaw, sophomore Allison Doocy, junior Erin Riding, and senior Kenzie Ihle.
- Doocy leads the team with 16 complete games, including four conference victories.
- Riding threw a five-inning run rule performance on Feb. 17 against Butler at the Texas A&M Invitational. She gave up two hits and no walks in the 8-0 win.
- Shaw pitched a 5-0 victory over Georgetown on March 10 at the Grand Canyon Invitational. She had a career-high six strikeouts and allowed just four hits in 7.0 innings pitched. This was also Shaw’s first career shutout.
- Senior pitcher Kenzie Ihle threw her first complete game in Iowa’s run-rule win over UW Green Bay on March 27. Ihle threw a career-high eight strikeouts in the six inning, 9-1 victory
The Hawkeyes continue their home stretch with a mid-week matchup against Western Illinois on April 17 at 7 p.m. (CT).
FOLLOW THE HAWKEYES
For all of the latest news and information on Iowa softball, visit hawkeyesports.com. Fans can also follow the program on its social media outlets at Facebook.com/iowahawkeyessoftball and
@iowasoftball on Twitter and Instagram.
Live stats and live streaming links for each game are on the softball schedule page at hawkeyesports.com.