The University of Iowa softball team competes in the Diamond 9 Citrus Classic in Orlando, Florida, at the ESPN Wide World of Sports Complex from Feb. 22-24. The Hawkeyes face UAB, Fordham, Morgan State, Notre Dame, and the Czech National Team. All games will be live streamed on FloSoftball and live stats are available on the team’s schedule page at hawkeyesports.com.
HAWKEYES PICK UP 2 WINS AT DISNEY
- The Hawkeyes competed in the Diamond 9 Citrus Blossom in Kissimmee, Florida, last weekend.
- Iowa went 2-3 on the weekend, picking up wins over Kansas and Massachusetts, while dropping contests to Villanova, Missouri, and Saint Joseph’s.
- Junior pitcher Allison Doocy earned her second and third wins of the season at the Diamond 9 Citrus Blossom.
- Doocy tossed a pair of complete games in wins over Kansas and Massachussets.
- Doocy finished the weekend with 19 strikeouts to bring her season total to 40, which ranks third in the Big Ten.
WALK IT OUT
- Sophomore Ashley Hamilton has been very selective at the plate during Iowa’s first nine games of the season.
- Hamilton has drawn a team-high 8 walks, including a season-high two walks against Villanova on Feb. 15.
- Hamilton boasts a team-high .450 on-base percentage.
GOTTA KETCHAM ALL
- Freshman outfielder Hallie Ketcham made her collegiate debut at the Diamond 9 Citrus Blossom.
- The Urbandale, Iowa, native earned starts in left field in all five of Iowa’s games over the weekend.
- At the plate, Ketcham holds a .333 batting average, which ranks second on the team and her four runs scored is first on the team.
- Against Kansas on Feb. 15, Ketcham scored both of Iowa’s runs as the Hawkeyes went on to defeat the Jayhawks 2-1.
- In the field, Ketcham is one of four Hawkeyes to commit zero errors on the season (Min. 5 games started).
MAYHEW HITS FIRST HOMER
- Junior DoniRae Mayhew’s first home run as a Hawkeye came at the most opportune moment.
- Tied 3-3 with Umass in the top of the seventh inning, Mayhew hit an 0-2 pitch over the left field wall to give Iowa a 5-3 lead it would not relinquish.
- Malloy Kilian is leading by example in her senior year.
- The Fort Dodge, Iowa, native leads Iowa with a .391 batting average and two doubles after nine games.
- Kilian recorded both doubles in back-to-back at-bats against Umass on Feb. 17.
- Kilian’s two doubles against Umass was the first time Kilian has hit more than one double in a single game in her career.
IOWA ADDS CZECH NATIONAL TEAM
- On Feb. 18, Iowa added an exhibition game against the Czech National Team.
- Following the conclusion of the Diamond 9 Citrus Classic on Feb. 24, Iowa will play the Czech National Team at 10:30 a.m. (CT).
SCHULTE’S 2-RBI GAME
- Freshman Miranda Schulte drove in the first two RBIs of her career against Kansas on Feb. 15.
- Schulte drove in freshman Hallie Ketcham in the first and sixth innings to seal Iowa’s 2-1 victory over the Jayhawks.
THOMPSON GOES YARD
- Junior Lea Thompson hit her first career home run against Saint Joseph’s on Feb. 16.
- Thompson entered as a pinch-hitter in the top of the seventh inning and drove a pitch deep to center field to put Iowa on the board.
THE HEAD HAWKEYE
- The Hawkeyes enter 2019 under new leadership with the addition of head coach Renee Gillispie.
- Gillispie returns to her home state after 18 seasons at UCF. She complied a record of 625-403-1, winning five conference championships and advancing to seven NCAA Regionals.
- A native of Danville, Iowa, Gillispie played collegiately at Kirkwood Community College and West Texas A&M University, where she set nine career pitching records and was inducted into the school’s athletics hall of fame in 2005.
- UAB enters the Diamond 9 Citrus Classic with a 5-5 record.
- UAB picked up wins over Wright State twice, UL Monroe, Austin Peay University, and Furman University.
- UAB has scored 10 or more runs in all five wins, including 12 against UL Monroe on Feb. 10.
- UAB is coached by Jimmy Kolaitis.
- Fordham is 4-5 on the season.
- The Rams have lost four of their last five games.
- Sophomore Rachel Hubertus was named the A-10 Player of the Week after hitting .583 with at least one hit and one run scored in three games last weekend.
- The Rams are led by Melissa Inouye, who is in her first season as head coach at Fordham.
- Morgan State enters the Diamond 9 Citrus Classic with an 0-5 record.
- The Bears fell to the University of Akron twice , Presbyterian twice, and East Tennessee State at the Presbyterian Blue Hose Invitational.
- The Bears are coached by Larry Hineline.
- Notre Dame is 4-6 on the season with three wins over ranked teams.
- Notre Dame defeated No. 3/2 Washington, 3-2 in eight innings on Feb. 9.
- On Feb. 15, The Fighting Irish downed No. 20/17 Oklahoma State, 6-0.
- On Feb. 17, Notre Dame defeated Ohio State, 3-2.
- The Fighting Irish are led by Deanna Gumpf.
- The Czech National Team is coached by Albrecht Vojtech.
- Season tickets for Iowa’s 13 home games are on sale now at the UI ticket office inside Carver-Hawkeye Arena.
- A reserved bleacher seat is $20 for the season and general admission season tickets are $15.
- Single game tickets are also on sale to the general public for $5, while fans 18 years and younger receive free admission.
FOLLOW THE HAWKEYES
- For all of the latest news and information on Iowa softball, visit hawkeyesports.com. Fans can also follow the program on its social media outlets at Facebook.com/iowahawkeyessoftball and @iowasoftball on Twitter and Instagram.
- Live stats and live streaming links for each game are on the softball schedule page at hawkeyesports.com.