The University of Iowa softball team concludes the tournament season this weekend at the Saluki Invitational in Carbondale, Illinois, hosted by Southern Illinois. The Hawkeyes are slated to play UIC and UW-Green Bay on Friday, Butler on Saturday, and UW-Green Bay and Miami (OH) on Sunday.
HAWKEYE WINNING STREAK
- The Hawkeye’s eight-game winning streak ended on March 2 against Middle Tennessee.
- Iowa’s eight game winning streak was the program’s longest since 2009. That year, Iowa won 42 games and went to the Atlanta Super Regional.
- During Iowa’s winning streak, junior Allison Doocy held a .74 ERA with 31 strikeouts and 4 earned runs.
- At the plate, junior DoniRae Mayhew batted .556 with four doubles, two home runs and eight RBIs.
DON’T CALL IT A COMEBACK
- For the second time this season, the Hawkeyes have overcome a two-run deficit in the seventh inning.
- Iowa defeated Fordham on Feb. 22, 5-3, thanks to a four-run seventh inning.
- The Hawkeyes repeated their magic against Binghamton on March 1. Trailing 5-3 in the seventh, Iowa rallied to score five runs and win 8-5.
- Freshman Sydney Owens hit the go-ahead triple.
- Junior pitcher Allison Doocy is 9-3 on the season with nine complete games and 79 strikeouts.
- Doocy earned three wins at the USF Series, defeating Western Michigan, Binghamton, and Ball State.
- The Ankeny, Iowa, native ranks second in the conference with 81 total innings pitched and is tied for fourth with 79 strikeouts.
I’D LIKE TO REPORT A THEFT
- Sophomore Aralee Bogar is 12-for-12 this season stealing bases, extending her perfect stolen base streak to 35, dating back to last season.
- Bogar ranks first in the conference with 12 stolen bases.
- Last season, Bogar was the only player in the Big Ten to boast a perfect stealing percentage with 23 stolen bases (Min. 20 attempts).
THIS GIRL IS ON FIRE
- Junior DoniRae Mayhew is Iowa’s most effective player at the plate this season.
- Mayhew is batting .358 with five doubles, two home runs, and nine RBIs through 19 games.
- Mayhew had a breakout weekend at the Diamond 9 Citrus Classic Feb. 22-24 . Mayhew batted .625 (10-for-14) with a 1.000 slugging percentage, three doubles, and a home run in Iowa’s five games.
- Mayhew reached base safely for 12 consecutive games from Feb. 15-March 2.
- Iowa has scored a team-high 17 runs in the seventh inning this season.
- Iowa has scored first in 11 of its 19 games, winning all of them.
- Iowa scored a season-high five runs in the seventh inning in an 8-5 come-from-behind victory over Binghamton on March 1.
- The Hawkeyes have scored 13 runs in the third inning and 10 runs in the first and fifth innings.
NO LOOKING BACK
- Iowa has yet to blow a lead this season.
- The Hawkeyes are 11-0 when taking the lead first, scoring in the first inning seven times.
- In addition, Iowa is 9-1 when scoring more than three runs.
BATS COME ALIVE
- Iowa set season highs for runs scored three times at the USF Series on March 1-3.
- Iowa topped five runs for the first time this season in a 6-1 victory over Western Michigan.
- In the following game, Iowa scored another season-high in an 8-5 win over Binghamton.
- Iowa eclipsed the 10 run mark against Ball State on March 3, defeating the Cardinals, 10-3.
- Malloy Kilian is leading by example in her senior year.
- The Fort Dodge, Iowa, native ranks second on the team, averaging .345 at the plate (min. 30 at-bats).
- At the USF Series, Kilian batted .438 with four doubles, a triple, and a home run.
- Kilian finished the weekend with a 1.000 slugging percentage and 16 total bases.
- Kilian recorded two doubles in a game for the second time this season against Ball State.
- Kilian is second on the team with six walks.
- The Flames are 4-10 after three weekends of competition.
- At the plate, UIC is led by Lexi Watts, who is batting .500 (21-42) with three doubles and a home run.
- The Flames are coming off their first run-rule victory of the season, defeating San Jose State, 12-3, in six innings on March 3.
- UIC is coached by Lynn Curylo, who is in her third season.
- UW-Green Bay is 2-3 this season.
- Green Bay’s tournament in Edwardsville, Illinois, was canceled last week due to weather.
- The Phoenix have defeated Purdue Fort Wayne, 3-1, and Western Illinois, 4-3.
- UW-Green Bay is coached by Scott Wachholz, who is in his third season.
- Butler is 6-8 through three weekends of competition.
- The Bulldogs are led by Jenna Foreman at the plate. Foreman is batting .426 with 20 hits and two RBIs.
- Butler is led by ninth-year head coach Scott Hall.
- The Redhawks are 8-6 with three wins in their last five games.
- Miami is led by Courtney Vierstra in the circle. Vierstra is 4-1 with a 2.53 ERA.
- On March 5, Vierstra was named the MAC Co-Pitcher of the Week, striking out 33 batters at the Lipscomb Tournament.
- The Redhawks are coached by Clarisa Crowell.
- Season tickets for Iowa’s 13 home games are on sale now at the UI ticket office inside Carver-Hawkeye Arena.
- A reserved bleacher seat is $20 for the season and general admission season tickets are $15.
- Single game tickets are also on sale to the general public for $5, while fans 18 years and younger receive free admission.
FOLLOW THE HAWKEYES
For all of the latest news and information on Iowa softball, visit hawkeyesports.com. Fans can also follow the program on its social media outlets at Facebook.com/iowahawkeyessoftball and @iowasoftball on Twitter and Instagram.
Live stats and live streaming links for each game are on the softball schedule page at hawkeyesports.com.