The University of Iowa softball team opens its Big Ten season at Purdue this Friday through Sunday in West Lafayette, Ind. Friday’s game is slated for a 2 p.m. (CT) first pitch, Saturday begins at 2 p.m., and Sunday’s finale starts at 11 a.m. Live audio for each game is available on Hawkeye All-Access and live stats are available on hawkeyesports.com/sblive.
DOOCY NAMED B1G PITCHER OF THE WEEK
- Junior Allison Doocy was named the Big Ten Pitcher of the Week on March 11 following her performance at the Saluki Invitational March 8-10.
- Doocy tossed two complete games, striking out 19, and giving up only two runs in 18 innings of work.
- The nod is Doocy’s second Pitcher of the Week award of her career (March 12, 2018) and third conference award. She was named the Big Ten Freshman of the Week on April 17, 2017.
- The Hawkeyes captured their first run-rule victory of the season on March 10 against UW-Green Bay, winning 12-0 in five innings.
- After scoring a run in the first, Iowa scored four runs in the second and third and added three more in the fourth.
- Sophomore Aralee Bogar hit her first home run of the season and second of her career. She finished the day 3-for-3 with four RBIs.
- Freshman Halle Ketcham added three RBIs and a triple.
- Junior pitcher Allison Doocy picked up her 12th win of the season in a 2-1 win over Miami (OH) on March 10.
- Doocy has thrown a team-high 11 complete games averaging 7.5 strikeouts in those games.
- The Ankeny, Iowa, native ranks second in the Big Ten with 99 innings pitched fifth in the conference with 98 strikeouts.
- The Hawkeyes have played their best softball on Sundays.
- Iowa has posted a 5-0 record on Sundays with wins over Umass, Notre Dame, Ball State, UW-Green Bay, and Miami (OH).
- The Hawkeyes have outscored their opponents 31-8 on Sundays.
- In addition, Iowa is 7-3 on Fridays.
CAN’T CATCH THIS KID
- Sophomore Aralee Bogar is 17-for-17 this season stealing bases, extending her perfect stolen base streak to 40, dating back to last season.
- Bogar ranks first in the conference with 17 stolen bases.
- After stealing at least one base in every game at the Saluki Invitational, Bogar has swiped a base in seven of her last eight games.
- Last season, Bogar was the only player in the Big Ten to boast a perfect stealing percentage with 23 stolen bases (Min. 20 attempts).
- Iowa has scored a team-high 17 runs in the seventh inning this season.
- Iowa has scored first in 13 of its 23 games, winning all of them.
- Iowa scored a season-high five runs in the seventh inning in an 8-5 come-from-behind victory over Binghamton on March 1.
- The Hawkeyes have scored 17 runs in the third inning and 12 runs in the second and sixth innings.
NO LOOKING BACK
- Iowa has yet to blow a lead this season.
- The Hawkeyes are 13-0 when taking the lead first, scoring in the first inning seven times.
- In addition, Iowa is 11-2 when scoring three or more runs.
HAWKEYE WINNING STREAK
- The Hawkeye’s eight-game winning streak ended on March 2 against Middle Tennessee.
- Iowa’s eight game winning streak was the program’s longest since 2009. That year, Iowa won 42 games and went to the Atlanta Super Regional.
- During Iowa’s winning streak, junior Allison Doocy held a .74 ERA with 31 strikeouts and 4 earned runs.
- At the plate, junior DoniRae Mayhew batted .556 with four doubles, two home runs and eight RBIs.
DON’T CALL IT A COMEBACK
- For the second time this season, the Hawkeyes have overcome a two-run deficit in the seventh inning.
- Iowa defeated Fordham on Feb. 22, 5-3, thanks to a four-run seventh inning.
- The Hawkeyes repeated their magic against Binghamton on March 1. Trailing 5-3 in the seventh, Iowa rallied to score five runs and win 8-5.
- Freshman Sydney Owens hit the go-ahead triple.
- Mallory Kilian is leading by example in her senior year.
- The Fort Dodge, Iowa, native ranks second on the team, averaging .324 at the plate (min. 50 at-bats).
- At the USF Series, Kilian batted .438 with four doubles, a triple, and a home run.
- Kilian finished the weekend with a 1.000 slugging percentage and 16 total bases.
- Kilian recorded two doubles in a game for the second time this season against Ball State.
- The Boilermakers are 20-9 and are sixth in the Big Ten this season.
- Purdue has wins in five of its last seven games.
- Purdue ranks fourth in the Big Ten in team batting average, hitting .296 as a team with 19 home runs.
- Jenny Behan leads the conference in total bases with 65 and is second with 35 hits.
- Purdue is coached by is coached by Boo De Oliveira, who is in her third season.
- Season tickets for Iowa’s 13 home games are on sale now at the UI ticket office inside Carver-Hawkeye Arena.
- A reserved bleacher seat is $20 for the season and general admission season tickets are $15.
- Single game tickets are also on sale to the general public for $5, while fans 18 years and younger receive free admission.
FOLLOW THE HAWKEYES
For all of the latest news and information on Iowa softball, visit hawkeyesports.com. Fans can also follow the program on its social media outlets at Facebook.com/iowahawkeyessoftball and @iowasoftball on Twitter and Instagram.
Live stats and live streaming links for each game are on the softball schedule page at hawkeyesports.com.