Hawkeye Fan Shop — A Black & Gold Store | Hawk Talk Monthly — April | 24 Hawkeyes to Watch 2018-19 | Rutgers (PDF)
This weekend, the University of Iowa softball team travels to Piscataway, N.J., for a three-game series against the Scarlet Knights. Game one is scheduled for Friday at 10 a.m. (CT), Saturday’s game will begin at 2 p.m., and Sunday’s finale commences at 12 p.m.
IOWA EARNS 1ST HOME VICTORY
- The Hawkeyes picked up their first home win of the season in dramatic fashion in the series finale against Illinois on April 13.
- Tied at three heading into extra innings, Iowa loaded the bases to bring up junior Havyn Monteer, who recorded the game-winning RBI for Iowa’s first home win of the season.
- The win is Iowa’s second extra innings game this season and first extra innings victory.
SCHULTE’S GRAND SLAM
- Freshman Miranda Schulte got the most off of her first career home run against Illinois on April 13.
- With the bases loaded in the bottom of the second, Schulte pulled a 1-1 pitch over the left field wall.
- The home run was Iowa’s 10th on the season and first grand slam.
LIEN WITH IT, ROCK WITH IT
- Freshman Abby Lien has been one of Iowa’s most consistent players over the past six games.
- Lien is batting .385 over Iowa’s last six games with one home run, one double, and an RBI.
- In conference play, Lien is one of eight players with a single, double, triple, and home run, while batting at least .300.
- The Hawkeyes are leading the Big Ten in triples this season.
- Iowa has 13 triples on the season, leading the Big Ten by three, and its 0.35 triples per game is 10th in the country.
- Iowa’s 10 triples leads the Big Ten by three (Nebraska, 10).
- Sophomore Aralee Bogar and senior Mallory Kilian are tied for second in the conference with three triples.
- In addition to Bogar and Kilian, junior Lea Thompson and freshmen Sydney Owens, Abby Lien, Kate Claypool, and Hallie Ketcham have all added triples.
- Iowa’s game at Drake on April 17 was altered due to weather.
- The Hawkeyes have altered their schedule due to rain in four of their last five games.
- In total, Iowa has had 10 games altered due to weather.
MAYHEW HOMERS TWICE VS ILLINOIS
- Junior DoniRae Mayhew notched her first home runs since Iowa’s Big Ten opener at Purdue on March 22.
- Mayhew launched solo shots in the fifth and seventh innings.
- Mayhew leads the team with five home runs this season.
CAN’T CATCH THIS KID
- Sophomore Aralee Bogar is 23-for-26 this season stealing bases.
- Bogar leads the Big Ten by three stolen bases with 23.
- Bogar had stolen 43 consecutive bases to begin her career.
- In 2018, Bogar was the only player in the Big Ten to boast a perfect stealing percentage with 23 stolen bases (Min. 20 attempts).
- Junior pitcher Allison Doocy is one of the Big Ten’s most dominant pitchers in 2019.
- Doocy ranks fourth in the Big Ten in total strikeouts with 164.
- Doocy is second in the conference with 163.2 innings pitched.
- Doocy has thrown a team-high 12 complete games averaging 7.5 strikeouts in those games.
IOWA’S JUCO PLAYER OF THE YEAR
- Junior DoniRae Mayhew is Iowa’s most powerful hitter in 2019.
- Mayhew leads the Hawkeyes with a .295 batting average and five home runs, while slugging .529 in her first season at the DI level.
- Mayhew recorded Iowa’s second hit of conference play at Purdue on March 22 with a two-run home run in the first inning.
- Mayhew is the reigning Junior College Player of the Year after batting .446 with a nation-leading 30 home runs.
- In the circle, Mayhew posted a 20-3 record with a 2.08 ERA and four shutouts.
- The Hawkeyes have been the first team to score in 15 games this season and are 15-1 in those games.
- Iowa is 10-2 this season when scoring in the first inning.
- Iowa is 10-1 when leading after the fourth inning.
- Iowa has scored a team-high 21 runs in the second and seventh innings this season.
DOOCY NAMED B1G PITCHER OF THE WEEK
- Junior Allison Doocy was named the Big Ten Pitcher of the Week on March 11 following her performance at the Saluki Invitational March 8-10.
- Doocy tossed two complete games, striking out 19, and giving up only two runs in 18 innings of work.
- The nod is Doocy’s second Pitcher of the Week award of her career (March 12, 2018) and third conference award. She was named the Big Ten Freshman of the Week on April 17, 2017.
HAWKEYE WINNING STREAK
- The Hawkeye’s eight-game winning streak ended on March 2 against Middle Tennessee.
- Iowa’s eight game winning streak was the program’s longest since 2009. That year, Iowa won 42 games and went to the Atlanta Super Regional.
- During Iowa’s winning streak, junior Allison Doocy held a .74 ERA with 31 strikeouts and 4 earned runs.
- At the plate, junior DoniRae Mayhew batted .556 with four doubles, two home runs and eight RBIs.
- Rutgers enters the weekend 20-19 and 4-8 in the Big Ten.
- The Scarlet Knights have won four of their last five, including a sweep of Penn State.
- At the plate,Jess Hughes leads Rutgers with a .387 batting average with seven home runs and 28 RBIs.
- Rutgers is coached by Kristin Butler, who is in her first season.
- Season tickets for Iowa’s 8 home games are on sale now at the UI ticket office inside Carver-Hawkeye Arena.
- A reserved bleacher seat is $20 for the season and general admission season tickets are $15.
- Single game tickets are also on sale to the general public for $5, while fans 18 years and younger receive free admission.
FOLLOW THE HAWKEYES
For all of the latest news and information on Iowa softball, visit hawkeyesports.com. Fans can also follow the program on its social media outlets at Facebook.com/iowahawkeyessoftball and @iowasoftball on Twitter and Instagram.
Live stats and live streaming links for each game are on the softball schedule page at hawkeyesports.com.