IOWA CITY, Iowa – The University of Iowa baseball team handled the Loras Duhawks on Tuesday evening to win their home opener, 9-2, at Duane Banks Field.
“I thought from the time we got to the ballpark until the game was over there was good focus and good energy,” said head coach Rick Heller. “Guys were into the game like you’d expect.”
It was all Hawkeyes as Keaton Anthony and Brennen Dorighi opened the scoring in the first inning with back-to-back home runs. Anthony was 3-for-5 with two runs scored and a RBI, while Dorighi was 3-for-5 with three runs scored tallying two RBIs.
Raider Tello was 3-for-5 and Sam Hojnar was 2-for-4 to round out the Hawkeyes with multi-hit games.
“The middle of our lineup really did a nice job,” said Heller. “With Tello, Anthony, and Dorighi each having three hits. We got out of it what we needed to get out of it for sure.”
Nine different Hawkeye pitchers saw action in a staff day as Jack Whitlock got the start and earned the win throwing one inning going three-up-three down. The Hawkeye pitching staff recorded 12 strikeouts on the day. Jacob Henderson and Will Christophersen each had three strike outs.
The Hawkeyes scored three runs in the first, one in the second, two in the seventh, and three in the eighth on their way to recording their sixth victory of the season.
- Keaton Anthony now has a home run in the last three games for the Hawkeyes.
- Raider Tello has a hit in each of the first seven games for Iowa.
- 24 different Hawkeyes saw action in the contest.
- Iowa improves to 6-1 on the season for the first time since 2018 (started that season 8-1).
- The Hawkeyes have scored 50 runs in the first seven games of the season while allowing only 20.
Iowa (6-1) returns to action on Friday against Southern at Noon at the South Alabama Invitational in Mobile, Alabama.