IOWA CITY, Iowa – The University of Iowa Baseball team defeated Ohio State, 16-9, on a rainy Friday night at Duane Banks Field.
The Hawkeyes scored in every inning except the second and put up a six-run inning in the third.
“I thought our guys showed a lot of toughness today,” said head coach Rick Heller. “Similar to Penn State game one where they said it doesn’t matter what happens we are going to find a way to win. Score enough runs.”
Brody Brecht got the start for Iowa. Brecht threw 2 2/3 innings striking out two and allowing two earned runs. Jack Whitlock entered in relief throwing 2 1/3 innings and earning his sixth win of the season.
Brennen Dorighi was 1-for-3 with six RBIs in the contest including a grand slam in the third. Sam Petersen hit two home runs and was 3-for-4 with four RBIs.
Michael Seegers hit two triples and with two RBIs and Sam Hojnar and Kyle Huckstorf each added an RBI to round out the balanced Iowa attack.
“Dorighi set the tone with the grand slam,” said Heller. “Took advantage of free bases and survived ours. I don’t think any of those guys would tell you they pitched their best today. They battled and got out of it.”
- The Hawkeyes improved to 33-11, and 9-6 in Big Ten Play.
- The win was Rick Hellers 999th career win. Heller has the 10th most wins among active coaches.
- Petersen is the second Hawkeye this season to tally two home runs in a contest (Brennen Dorighi, Illinois State)
- Michael Seegers is the first Hawkeye with two triples in a game since Zach McCool in 2010 vs Western Illinois.
- Iowa improved to 16-0 when scoring 10 or more runs.
The Hawkeyes continue the series with Ohio State tomorrow at 1 p.m. (CT) at Duane Banks Field. The Game will be broadcast on the Big Ten Network and the Hawkeye Radio Network.