Feb. 20, 2006
CHICAGO — The University of Iowa men’s tennis team traveled to Chicago Sunday to face DePaul. The Hawkeyes only lost two matches and defeated the Blue Demons, 6-1.
In singles, Iowa won five of six matches. In the No. 1 spot, sophomore Bart van Monsjou defeated Gabe Inchauste, 6-3, 6-4. Freshman Christian Bierich defeated Eric Huffman in the No. 2 match, 7-5, 7-5. Sophomore J.P. Ritchie, playing in the No. 3 spot, defeated George Wang, 6-2, 5-7, (10-1). Austin Doerner defeated senior Chaitu Malempati in the No. 4 match, 7-6 (7), 6-4. In the No. 5 match, senior Brett Taylor defeated Danny Wilson, 6-3, 6-4. Freshman Zach Frisch played in the No. 6 spot and defeated Will Wang, 7-5, 6-2.
The Hawkeyes won two of three doubles matches. Taylor and Ritchie teamed to play the No. 1 double match, but lost to Huffman and Doerner, 9-8 (7). In the No. 2 match, the team of van Monsjou and Malempati defeated Will Wang and Inchauste, 8-3. In the No. 3 match, Bierich paired with senior Aaron Schaechterle to defeat George Wang and Wilson, 8-1.
With this win, the Hawkeyes are now 4-1. Iowa has no meets this week, but will return to action when they travel to Des Moines to face Drake on March 1.
1. Bart van Monsjou (Iowa) def. Gabe Inchauste (DePaul) 6-3, 6-4
2. Christian Bierich (Iowa) def. Eric Huffman (DePaul) 7-5, 7-5
3. J.P. Ritchie (Iowa) def. George Wang (DePaul) 6-2, 5-7, (10-1)
4. Austin Doerner (DePaul) def. Chaitu Malempati (Iowa) 7-6 (7), 6-4
5. Brett Taylor (Iowa) def. Danny Wilson (DePaul) 6-3, 6-4
6. Zach Frisch (Iowa) def. Will Wang (DePaul) 7-5, 6-2
1. Huffman/Doerner (DePaul) def. Taylor/Ritchie (Iowa) 9-8 (7)
2. van Monsjou/Malempati (Iowa) def. Will Wang/Inchauste (DePaul) 8-3
3. Bierich/Aaron Schaechterle (Iowa) def. George Wang/Wilson (DePaul) 8-1