March 17, 2006
HAMMOND, LA – The University of Iowa men’s tennis team was defeated by #60 Southeastern Louisiana today, 5-2. The Hawkeyes came out with two singles wins and one doubles victory.
In singles, sophomore Bart van Monsjou defeated Haris Huremovic in the No. 1 match, 7-5, 6-2. At the No. 2 spot, freshman Christian Bierich was defeated by Ilie Babincuic, 6-4, 6-3. Sophomore J.P. Ritchie was victorious over Matthieu Leboucher in the No. 3 match, 6-1, 1-6, 6-3. Senior Chaitu Malempati was defeated by Ondrej Krivka, 7-5, 6-4, in the No. 4 match. At the No. 5 spot, senior Brett Taylor was defeated by Vladimir Paunic, 6-4, 7-5. Freshman Greg Holm was in singles competition for only the second time this season, but was defeated by Julien Lausao in the No. 6 match, 6-0, 6-2.
In doubles, the Hawkeye team of Ritchie and Taylor was defeated in the No. 1 match by Huremovic and Krivka, 8-3. Iowa got its only doubles victory from the No. 2 team of van Monsjou and Malempati. They defeated Lausao and Leboucher, 8-3. In the No. 3 match, Bierich teamed with senior Aaron Schaechterle. They were defeated by Babincuic and Paunic, 8-3.
With this loss, the Hawkeyes fall to 5-4. They will be in action again Saturday when they travel to Lafayette, LA to face Louisiana-Lafayette. Competition will begin at 1 p.m.
#60 Southeastern Louisiana 5
1. Bart van Monsjou (Iowa) def. Haris Huremovic (SLA) 7-5, 6-2
2. Ilie Babincuic (SLA) def. Christian Bierich (Iowa) 6-4, 6-3
3. J.P. Ritchie (Iowa) def. Matthieu Leboucher (SLA) 6-1, 1-6, 6-3
4. Ondrej Krivka (SLA) def. Chaitu Malempati (Iowa) 7-5, 6-4
5. Vladimir Paunic (SLA) def. Brett Taylor (Iowa) 6-4, 7-5
6. Julien Lausao (SLA) def. Greg Holm (Iowa) 6-0, 6-2
1. Haris Huremovic/Ondrej Krivka (SLA) def. Ritchie/Taylor (Iowa) 8-3
2. van Monsjou/Malempati (Iowa) def. Julien Lausao/Matthieu Leboucher (SLA) 8-3
3. Ilie Babincuic/Vladimir Paunic (SLA) def. Bierich/Aaron Schaechterle (Iowa) 8-3