Feb. 1, 2009
Waco ,TX –
The Iowa women’s tennis team fell to Princeton on the road in Waco, TX Sunday. Final team scores were Iowa 2 and Princeton 5.
Iowa had a rough start to the meet, with doubles duos of Lynne Poggensee-Wei/Jessica Young and Kelcie Klockenga/Ally Majercik falling to pairs from Princeton 8-2 and 8-1 respectively. Hawkeye pair at the No. 1 position Sonja Molnar and Alexis Dorr did not finish their doubles match due to tournament rules once again.
The highlight of the meet for Iowa came from freshman Sonja Molnar competing at the No. 1 position for the Hawkeyes and defeating ranked opponent (#74) Lauren McHale 6-2, 6-4. The Hawkeyes saw another winning match by Iowa’s Kelcie Klockenga at the No. 5 position, defeating Princeton’s Ashley Blakely 6-7 (1-7), 6-4, 10-8. At the No. 4 spot, Lynne Poggensee-Wei battled with Princeton’s Rebecca Parks in the first set, but ultimately lost the match 7-5, 6-2.
Iowa will return to competition February 7 when they travel to Marquette to face Louisville. Competition is set to begin at 10 a.m.
1. Sonja Molnar (Iowa) def. #74 Lauren McHale (Princeton) 6-2, 6-4
2. Hilary Bartlett (Princeton) def. Alexis Dorr (Iowa) 6-1, 6-1
3. Melissa Saiontz (Princeton) def. Jessica Young (Iowa) 6-0, 6-3
4. Rebecca Parks (Princeton) def. Lynne Poggensee-Wei (Iowa) 7-5, 6-2
5. Kelcie Klockenga (Iowa) def. Ashley Blakely (Princeton) 6-7 (1-7), 6-4, 10-8
6. Sarah Hoffman (Princeton) def. Ally Majercik (Iowa) 6-2, 6-4
1. Sonja Molnar/Alexis Dorr (Iowa) vs. Hilary Bartlett/Lauren McHale (Princeton) (Did Not Finish)
2. Ashley Blakely/Rebecca Parks (Princeton) def. Lynne Poggensee-Wei/Jessica Young (Iowa) 8-2
3. Sarah Hoffman/Melissa Saiontz (Princeton) def. Kelcie Klockenga/Ally Majercik (Iowa) 8-1
Iowa 3-1; National ranking #50
Princeton 2-2; National ranking #62
Order of finish: Doubles (3,2); Singles (3,2,4,1,6)