Feb. 14, 2009
Tuscaloosa, AL –
The University of Iowa women’s tennis team fell to Alabama Saturday in Tuscaloosa. The Hawkeyes were defeated by the Crimson Tide 6-1 in their third loss of the season.
Iowa started off the meet fighting in three tough battles during the doubles competition. Iowa duo of Jessica Young and Ally Majercik competed at the No. 3 position, falling 8-2 against Meritt Emery and Shelley Goodwin. Lynne Poggensee-Wei and Kelcie Klockenga then fell at the No. 2 spot 8-2, with No. 1 doubles Sonja Molnar and Alexis Dorr finishing last, ultimately defeated by Alabama’s duo 8-2.
The Hawkeyes went into the singles competition down 1-0 in the team standing. Young was the first to finish for Iowa, falling at the No. 4 position against Meritt Emery 6-1, 6-0. No. 6 singles Majercik then lost to Alabama’s Taylor Lindsey 6-0, 6-2. Klockenga was the next Hawkeye to finish, losing 6-2, 6-2 at the No. 5 position, followed by Poggensee-Wei who lost 6-1, 6-4 and No. 2 Alexis Dorr who fell 6-4, 6-1. The highlight of the meet came from No. 1 singles player Molnar. She battled against No. 72 Tiffany Welcher in a hard-fought match, winning the tie-breaker and becoming victorious as the only Hawkeye to bring home a win Saturday. She finished 6-3, 3-6, 1-0 (10-7) against Welcher.
“Alabama came at us aggressively from the first point today. We just were not able to make the necessary adjustments and as a result never threatened to make a comeback,” said Hawkeye Head Coach Daryl Greenan. “Sonja picked up her second win over a nationally ranked opponent giving us a highlight for the day.”
The Hawkeyes return to the courts tomorrow at 10 a.m. when they travel to Oxford, MS to face Mississippi at the Palmer/Salloum Tennis Center.
1. Sonja Molnar (Iowa) def. #72 Tiffany Welcher (Alabama) 6-3, 3-6, 1-0 (10-7)
2. Courtney McLane (Alabama) def. Alexis Dorr (Iowa) 6-4, 6-1
3. Paulina Bigos (Alabama) def. Lynne Poggensee-Wei (Iowa) 6-1, 6-4
4. Meritt Emery (Alabama) def. Jessica Young (Iowa) 6-1, 6-0
5. Shelley Godwin (Alabama) def. Kelcie Klockenga (Iowa) 6-2, 6-2
6. Taylor Lindsey (Alabama) def. Allison Majercik (Iowa) 6-0, 6-2
1. Tiffany Welcher/Courtney McLane (Alabama) def. Sonja Molnar/Alexis Dorr (Iowa) 8-2
2. Paulina Bigos/Taylor Lindsey (Alabama) def. Lynne Poggensee-Wei/Kelcie Klockenga (Iowa) 8-2
3. Meritt Emery/Shelley Godwin (Alabama) def. Jessica Young/Allison Majercik (Iowa) 8-2
University of Iowa 4-3; National ranking No. 58
University of Alabama; 5-0
Order of Finish: Doubles (3,2,1); Singles (4,6,5,3,2,1)