Feb. 15, 2009
Oxford, MS –
The University of Iowa women’s tennis team fell to the University of Mississippi 6-1 Sunday at the Gillon Sports Center.
Iowa started the meet off strong, with Hawkeye duo Lynne Poggensee-Wei and Kelcie Klockenga earning the first win in doubles competition at the No. 2 position. The pair defeated Laura Van de Stroet and Mimi Renaudin 8-3. After a close loss by Alexis Dorr and Ally Majercik at the No. 3 doubles position (8-6), No. 1 doubles Sonja Molnar and Jessica Young battled for victory in hopes of gaining the team point. After a tough match, the pair lost to Karen Nijssen and No. 51 Kristi Boxx 9-7.
Heading into singles competition, the Hawkeyes were down 1-0 to Ole Miss. After an early loss by Poggensee-Wei at the No. 3 position (6-1, 6-1), Molnar fought to gain the sole Hawkeye team point, going 6-2, 6-4 against Nijssen at the No. 1 spot. But the victory wasn’t enough to spark Iowa’s momentum to win the next round of close matches. Dorr came up short in her battle against No. 51 Boxx at the No. 2 position (6-2, 7-5), while Klockenga also lost 6-4, 6-1 at the No. 4 position. Senior Merel Beelen made her first singles appearance for the 2009 spring season against Soledad Podlipnik, only to fall 6-2, 6-4 at the No. 6 spot. The No. 5 position was the last to finish, with Jessica Young fighting it out against Mississippi’s Abigail Guthrie. After taking it to a ten-point tiebreaker, Young fell 6-4, 6-7 (5), 10-3.
Iowa will return to action when they host Depaul Feb. 20 at the Hawkeye Tennis and Recreation Center in Iowa City. Competition is set to begin at 3 p.m.
1. Sonja Molnar (IOWA) def. Karen Nijssen (OM) 6-2, 6-4
2. No. 51 Kristi Boxx (OM) def. Alexis Dorr (IOWA) 6-2, 7-5
3. Laura van de Stroet (OM) def. Lynne Poggensee-Wei (IOWA) 6-1, 6-1
4. Gabriela Rangel (OM) def. Kelcie Klockenga (IOWA) 6-4, 6-1
5. Abigail Guthrie (OM) vs. Jessica Young (IOWA) 6-4, 6-7(5), 10-3
6. Soledad Podlipnik (OM) def. Merel Beelen (IOWA) 6-2, 6-4v
1. Nijssen/Boxx (OM) def. Molnar/Young (IOWA) 9-7
2. Poggensee-Wei/Klockenga (IOWA) def. Van de Stroet/Renaudin (OM) 8-3
3. Rangel/Guthrie (OM) def. Dorr/Majercik (IOWA) 8-6
University of Iowa 4-4; National ranking No. 58
University of Mississippi 2-2, National ranking No. 54
Order of Finish: Doubles (2,3,1); Singles (3,1,2,4,6,5)