March 21, 2009
East Lansing, MI-
The University of Iowa women’s tennis team defeated the Michigan State Spartans 4-3 Saturday in East Lansing.
The Hawkeye duo of Sonja Molnar and Jessica Young grabbed their second doubles win of the season, going 8-4 in a victory over Manan Noe and Whitney Wilson at the No. 1 position. The win marked the only victory for Iowa in doubles competition.
After dropping the doubles point, Iowa went into singles competition down 1-0 in the team standing. Iowa went 4-2 in the singles matches to take home the win and move them to 2-0 in Big Ten conference play. Freshman Sonja Molnar, No. 92 nationally, grabbed her eleventh win of the season, going 6-1, 6-4 at the No. 1 position. Alexis Dorr saw victory at the No. 2 spot, winning 6-1, 6-2, while Lynne Poggensee-Wei went 6-4, 6-4 to win at the No. 3 position for the Hawkeyes.
Kelcie Klockenga fell 6-4, 6-3 at the No. 4 spot, while Ally Majercik was defeated 6-2, 6-2 at the No. 6 position. Jessica Young faced Wilson for the second time during the day, once again seeing victory, going 6-3, 6-2 to win at the No. 5 singles position.
“Another great win for us today, as all Big Ten matches are,” said Hawkeye Head Coach Daryl Greenan. “Again, we lost the doubles point, but the girls responded very well and we were able to pull out four singles matches. We are making some progress in doubles and I think eventually we will start getting those points, but for now it’s good that we are getting it done in singles. Lynne did a great job closing it out today.”
Iowa will return to the courts tomorrow, traveling to Ann Arbor, MI to face the Michigan Wolverines in their second Big Ten clash of the weekend. Competition is scheduled to begin at 10 a.m. (CT) at the Varsity Tennis Center.
1. Molnar/Young (Iowa) def. Noe/Wilson (MSU), 8-4
2. Ivanova/Kebler (MSU) def. Klockenga/Poggensee-Wei (Iowa), 9-7
3. Lonergan/Milosavljevic (MSU) def. Barnes/Dorr (Iowa), 8-6
1. No. 92 Sonja Molnar (Iowa) def. Stephanie Kebler (MSU), 6-1 6-4
2. Alexis Dorr (Iowa) def. Elena Ivanova (MSU), 6-1, 6-2
3. Lynne Poggensee-Wei (Iowa) def. Manon Noe (MSU), 6-4, 6-4
4. Ana Milosavljevic (MSU) def. Kelcie Klockenga (Iowa), 6-4, 6-3
5. Jessica Young (Iowa) def. Whitney Wilson (MSU), 6-3, 6-2
6. Dana Guentert (MSU) def. Ally Majercik (Iowa), 6-2, 6-2
Iowa 7-6; National ranking 72
Michigan State 7-9; NR
Order of Finish: Doubles (1,2,3); Singles (5,4,6,2,1,3)