April 12, 2009
The University of Iowa women’s tennis team was defeated by the No.1 Northwestern Wildcats in a blustery Sunday meet in Iowa City, 7-0. The loss brings the Hawkeyes to 7-13 overall and 2-7 in the Big Ten conference.
Iowa dropped all three doubles matches, for a Northwestern sweep of the competition. Sophomore Alexis Dorr and junior Kelcie Klockenga were the first to finish, falling to the No. 28 ranked doubles pair of Maria Mosolova and Keri Robinson at the No. 2 position, 8-0.
The Hawkeye duo of sophomore Lynne Poggensee-Wei and freshman Ally Majercik was defeated at the No. 3 doubles position, 8-3, by Elena Chernyakova and Nazlie Ghazal. Rounding out the doubles competition were freshman Sonja Molnar and sophomore Jessica Young at the No. 1 spot. After a long match against the No. 14 nationally ranked pair of Lauren Lui and Georgia Rose, the Iowa duo was defeated 8-3.
The Hawkeyes headed into the singles competition down 1-0 to the Wildcats. Klockenga was the first Hawkeye to concede a win, falling 6-0, 6-0 at the No. 4 position to Keri Robinson. Combined with a loss by Dorr at the No. 2 spot to Lauren Lui 6-1, 6-2, the Wildcats held the lead at 3-0.
Majercik fell at the No. 6 position to Stacey Lee 6-0, 6-4, clinching the eighth conference win for the Wildcats. Elena Chernyakova defeated Young at the No. 5 spot 6-3, 6-2. Molnar fell to Georgia Rose, No. 20 nationally, in her fourth loss of the season at the No. 1 position, 6-2, 6-3. After winning the first set in a three-set match, Poggensee-Wei ultimately fell to Nazlie Ghazal at the No. 3 spot 2-6, 6-1, 6-1.
“Northwestern is the number one team in the country, and they were definitely too strong for us today,” said Hawkeye Head Coach Daryl Greenan. “You learn a lot from matches like this and we just need to use it to get ready for Purdue next weekend.”
Iowa will return to the courts April 18, hosting Big Ten rival Purdue in the final regular season conference match. Competition is set to begin at 11 a.m. at the Hawkeye Tennis and Recreation Complex in Iowa City. Admission is free.
1. Lauren Lui/Georgia Rose (Northwestern) def. Jessica Young/Sonja Molnar (Iowa) 8-3
2. Maria Mosolova/Keri Robison (Northwestern) def. Alexis Dorr/Kelcie Klockenga (Iowa) 8-0
3. Elena Chernyakova/Nazlie Ghazal (Northwestern) def. Lynne Poggensee-Wei/Ally Majercik (Iowa) 8-3
1. #20 Georgia Rose (Northwestern) def. #87 Sonja Molnar (Iowa) 6-2, 6-3
2. #119 Lauren Lui (Northwestern) def. Alexis Dorr (Iowa) 6-1, 6-2
3. Nazlie Ghazal (Northwestern) def. Lynne Poggensee-Wei (Iowa) 2-6, 6-1, 6-1
4. Keri Robinson (Northwestern) def. Kelcie Klockenga (Iowa) 6-0, 6-0
5. Elena Chernyakova (Northwestern) def. Jessica Young (Iowa) 6-3, 6-2
6. Stacey Lee (Northwestern) def. Ally Majercik (Iowa) 6-0, 6-4
Iowa 7-13, 2-7; Not Ranked
Northwestern19-1, 8-0; Nationally Ranked #1
Order of Finish: Doubles (2,3,1) Singles (4,2,6,5,1,3)