Jan. 29, 2011
- Download your Iowa Hawkeye iPhone app!
- Iowa and the Big Ten Network
- Big Ten Network: Free Hawkeye Video
- 24 Hawkeyes to Watch
ATLANTA – – The University of Iowa women’s tennis team fell to No. 13 Georgia Tech 5-2 Saturday at the Bill Moore Center in the annual ITA Season Kickoff. The 30th ranked Hawkeyes are now 1-1 on the season.
“Georgia Tech is a very good team and had us on our heels from the beginning in doubles,” said Head Coach Katie Dougherty. “The spots we lost in singles were taken from us, but we competed well down the line. We need to start strong in doubles tomorrow and continue to build on the good things we’re doing in singles and doubles.”
The Hawkeyes were unable to claim the doubles point as the Yellow Jackets won the first two matches. Junior Sonja Molnar and senior Jessica Young were tied 6-6 against the 66th ranked duo of Caroline Lilley and Sasha Krupina when play was suspended.
In singles, Iowa’s two freshmen both came away with victories. Jessica Cohen defeated Sasha Krupina 6-4, 6-2 at the No. 5 spot. Christina Harazin, playing in the No. 6 position, topped Elizabeth Kilborn 6-3, 6-4
The Hawkeyes return to action tomorrow at 10:30 a.m. (CST) when they face Big Ten foe Illinois. The 25th ranked Illini also fell Saturday, losing 4-3 to No. 28 South Florida. Live scoring will be provided at http://ramblinwreck.cstv.com/livestats/w-tennis/xlive.htm.
#13 Georgia Tech – 5
#30 Iowa – 2
1. Sonja Molnar/Jessica Young (Iowa) vs. #66 Caroline Lilley/Sasha Krupina (GT) – 6-6
2. Viet Ha Ngo/Jillian O’Neill (GT) def. Jessica Cohen/Alexis Dorr (Iowa) – 8-2
3. #36 Lynn Blau/Elizabeth Kilborn (GT) def. Lynne Poggensee-Wei/Christina Harazin (Iowa) – 8-2
1. Viet Ha Ngo (GT) def. #70 Sonja Molnar (Iowa) – 6-1, 6-0
2. Caroline Lilley (GT) def. Jessica Young (Iowa) – 7-5, 6-1
3. #39 Jillian O’Neill (GT) def. Alexis Dorr (Iowa) – 6-0, 6-2
4. Lynn Blau (GT) def. Lynne Poggensee-Wei – 6-1, 6-4
5. Jessica Cohen (Iowa) def. Sasha Krupina (GT) – 6-4, 6-2
6. Christina Harazin (Iowa) def. Elizabeth Kilborn (GT) – 6-3, 6-4