April 2, 2011
- Download your Iowa Hawkeye iPhone app!
- Iowa and the Big Ten Network
- Big Ten Network: Free Hawkeye Video
- 24 Hawkeyes to Watch
IOWA CITY, Iowa – – The University of Iowa women’s tennis team won 4-3 Saturday against Indiana (10-7 overall, 0-4 Big Ten) while playing outdoors at the Hawkeye Tennis and Recreation Complex for the first time this season. Iowa moved to 2-1 in Big Ten matches and improved to 5-9 overall.
“We responded well after doubles and came out in singles with a ton of fight,” said Head Coach Katie Dougherty. “We competed well across the board and worked really hard out there.”
The Hoosiers, 1-4 in road matches, claimed the doubles point by winning two of three matches. Junior Sonja Molnar and senior Jessica Young, ranked No. 46 by the ITA, earned the Hawkeyes lone victory at the No. 1 position in a match that featured two nationally ranked duos. Molnar and Young, 3-0 in conference play, fought back from an early 4-1 deficit to upset No. 31 Leslie Hureau and Myriam Sopel, 8-7. Molnar and Young have won four straight matches and own a 9-3 dual match record that includes a 3-1 mark against ranked opponents.
In singles, Iowa won the first four matches to secure the 4-3 victory. The Hawkeyes, 2-2 in home matches, won four of six matches for the second match in a row.
At the No. 5 position, freshman Christina Harazin topped Kayla Fujimoto 6-3, 6-1 to earn her first conference victory and improve to 6-5 in dual matches.
Like doubles, Sonja Molnar upset Leslie Hureau. No. 101 Molnar won a 6-2, 6-0 decision against Hureau, the county’s No. 78 player, to become the first Hawkeye this season to reach double digits in dual match wins. The Guelph, Ontario, native holds a 10-4 dual match record that includes a 2-0 mark against ranked opponents.
Jessica Young was victorious against Evgeniya Vertesheva at the No. 2 position, 7-6, 1-6, 6-3. Young, undefeated in conference play, is on a four-match win streak and is an even 7-7 in dual matches.
Senior Alexis Dorr secured the Hawkeye victory with a 7-6, 7-5 triumph over Charlotte Martin at the No. 4 position. Dorr is 5-5 when playing at the No. 4 position this season.
The Hawkeyes will continue Big Ten play Sunday at noon (CST) when they host No. 58 Purdue at the Hawkeye Tennis and Recreation Complex.
Iowa (5-9, 2-1) – 4
Indiana (10-7, 0-4) – 3
1. #101 Sonja Molnar (IOWA) def. #78 Leslie Hureau (IU), 6-2, 6-0
2. Jessica Young (IOWA) def. Evgeniya Vertesheva (IU), 7-6, 1-6, 6-3
3. Katya Zapadalova (IU) def. Lynne Poggensee-Wei (IOWA), 2-6, 6-3, 6-4
4. Alexis Dorr (IOWA) def. Charlotte Martin (IU), 7-6, 7-5
5. Christina Harazin (IOWA) def. Kayla Fujimoto (IU), 6-3, 6-1
6. Myriam Sopel (IU) def. Cassandra Escobar (IOWA), 6-2, 6-7, 6-2
1. #46 Sonja Molnar/Jessica Young (IOWA) def. #31 Myriam Sopel/Leslie Hureau (IU), 8-7
2. Kayla Fujimoto/Evgeniya Vertesheva (IU) def. Alexis Dorr/Christina Harazin (IOWA), 8-4
3. Katya Zapadalova/Sophie Garre (IU) def. Lynne Poggensee-Wei/Ally Majercik (IOWA), 8-6