April 3, 2011
- Download your Iowa Hawkeye iPhone app!
- Iowa and the Big Ten Network
- Big Ten Network: Free Hawkeye Video
- 24 Hawkeyes to Watch
Baton Rouge, La. – The University of Iowa men’s golf team finished third at the 12-team LSU National Invitational Sunday afternoon. The No. 10 Hawkeyes posted a final round of 305 (+17) for a 54-hole total of 893 (+29), topping Iowa State and Big Ten opponents Michigan, Minnesota and Penn State. Louisiana State (886, +22) won their home event while Chattanooga (887, +23) took second. Competition was held on a par 72, 7,274-yard course at LSU’s University Club in Baton Rouge, La.
Despite firing his only round over par, senior Vince India placed second with a tournament total of even par 216. After two rounds at one-under 71, the 11th-ranked competitor in college golf posted a final round of two-over 74. India finished the tournament with more rounds at or under par than any other competitor in the field.
“I thought Vince played extremely smart this week and displayed some of the best golf course management he’s shown to date,” said Head Coach Mark Hankins. “He stayed patient, fought hard and was awarded with a runner-up finish. My hat goes off to Chattanooga’s Stephan Jaeger who had a very strong tournament.”
Juniors Barrett Kelpin and Chris Brant both posted two-day totals of 225 (+9) to tie for 12th. Kelpin, who was tied for 22nd heading into Sunday’s final round, posted a third round of three-over 75. Brant posted three birdies on the front nine of his final round, but struggled on the 17th and finished with a closing round of 76 (+4).
Senior Brad Hopfinger just missed the top-25 with a score of 229 (+13). Ranked 37th in the country, Hopfinger was five-over after day one but posted a final round of 80 (+8). Additionally, junior Jed Dirksen tied for 35th. In just his fourth competitive event as an Iowa golfer, Dirksen carded a final round of 81 (+9), bringing his 54-hole total to 233 (+17).
“We got off to a slow start but our guys battled back and had a chance coming down the stretch,” added Hankins. “It was a difficult golf course and we will learn from this experience and work to improve going forward.”
The Black and Gold will take a week off from the competitive scene before returning to their own Finkbine Golf Course for the 18th-annual Hawkeye TaylorMade Invitational. The 11-team, 54-hole event will be held April 16-17 in Iowa City, Iowa.
1. Louisiana State 295-294-297=886 (+22)
2. Chattanooga 297-298-292=887 (+23)
3. Iowa 295-293-305=893 (+29)
4. Michigan 296-291-311=898 (+34)
5. Minnesota 295-308-299=902 (+38)
6. VCU 302-300-310=912 (+48)
7. Louisiana-Lafayette 306-305-303=914 (+50)
8. Notre Dame 311-296-310=917 (+53)
9. Penn State 305-305-313=923 (+59)
10. Iowa State 307-300-326=933 (+69)
11. Boston College 318-321-342=981 (+117)
12. Centenary College 332-320-338=990 (+126)
Individual Results – Par 72 (Top 3 + Iowa)
1. Stephan Jaeger (Chattanooga) 70-67-72=209 (-7)
2. Vince India (Iowa) 71-71-74=216 (E)
3. Donald Constable (Minnesota) 74-75-68=217 (+1)
John Peterson (LSU) 72-70-75=217 (+1)
T12. Barrett Kelpin (Iowa) 74-76-75=225 (+9)
Chris Brant (Iowa) 74-75-76=225 (+9)
T26. Brad Hopfinger (Iowa) 76-73-80=229 (+13)
T35. Jed Dirksen (Iowa) 78-74-81=223 (+17)