April 9, 2011
- Download your Iowa Hawkeye iPhone app!
- Iowa and the Big Ten Network
- Big Ten Network: Free Hawkeye Video
- 24 Hawkeyes to Watch
EVANSTON, Ill. – – The University of Iowa women’s tennis team fell 6-1 to No. 16 Northwestern (13-5 overall, 5-0 Big Ten) Friday at the Combe Tennis Center. The Hawkeyes dropped to 2-4 in Big Ten play and 5-12 overall.
Northwestern, 9-1 in home matches, secured the doubles point by winning the first two matches. In the final match, junior Sonja Molnar and senior Jessica Young, ranked No. 46 by the ITA, upset the seventh ranked duo the country, Linda Abu Mushrefova and Nida Hamilton. Molnar and Young won 8-6 at the top spot to improve to 10-5 in dual matches and 4-3 against nationally ranked opponents.
In singles, freshman Christina Harazin earned the Hawkeyes only point of the match by scoring a 7-5, 1-6, 1-0 upset over Brittany Wowchuk, the No. 50 player in the country, at the No. 4 position. It was Harazin’s first career victory against a nationally ranked opponent. Harazin, who played at the No. 4 spot for the first time this season, owns a 7-7 dual match record. Iowa almost pulled a second upset, as Molnar went the distance with No. 16 Maria Mosolova before falling 5-7, 6-1, 1-0 at the No. 1 position. Molnar, ranked No. 101, is 12-5 during dual match play.
Iowa will host its final two home matches of the season next weekend at the Hawkeye Tennis and Recreation Complex. The Hawkeyes will face No. 70 Michigan State Friday, April 15 at 5 p.m. (CST) before playing No. 10 Michigan Sunday, April 17 at 11 a.m. (CST).
#16 Northwestern (13-5, 5-0) – 6
Iowa (5-12, 2-4) – 1
1. #46 Sonja Molnar/Jessica Young (IOWA) def. #7 Linda Abu Mushrefova/Nida Hamilton (NU), 8-6
2. Maria Mosolova/Belinda Niu (NU) def. Alexis Dorr/Christina Harazin (IOWA), 8-5
3. Elena Chernyakova/Brittany Wowchuk (NU) def. Cassandra Escobar/Ally Majercik (IOWA), 8-0
1. #16 Maria Mosolova (NU) def. #46 Sonja Molnar (IOWA), 5-7, 6-1, 1-0
2. #74 Belinda Niu (NU) def. Jessica Young (IOWA), 6-3, 6-3
3. #92 Kate Turvy (NU) def. Alexis Dorr (IOWA), 5-3
4. Christina Harazin (IOWA) def. #50 Brittany Wowchuk (NU), 7-5, 1-6, 1-0
5. Linda Abu Mushrefova (NU) def. Ally Majercik (IOWA), 6-1, 6-0
6. Nida Hamilton (NU) def. Cassandra Escobar (IOWA), 6-1, 6-0