May 31, 2011
- Order Tickets to Gable’s Gold Retirement Celebration
- USA Olympic Trials – Iowa City, IA
- Hawkeye Olympic & World Team Trials
- Download your Iowa Hawkeye iPhone app!
- Carver-Hawkeye Arena Revitalization
- 2010-11 Iowa Wrestling Media Guide
- Iowa and the Big Ten Network
- Big Ten Network: Free Hawkeye Video
- 24 Hawkeyes to Watch
IOWA CITY, Iowa — University of Iowa freshman Bobby Telford was named TheMat.com Wrestler of the Week following last weekend’s performance at the FILA Junior Freestyle World Cup. Telford posted a 3-1 record to help the U.S. battle to a sixth place finish in the dual-meet event in Plauen, Germany.
Telford opened with a 2-0, 3-0 win over Aslanishvili of Georgia at 120 kg/264.5 lbs. He then dropped a decision to Oezkaradeniz of Turkey before battling back to beat Magomedabirov of Azerbaijan 1-0, 2-0 and Oka of Japan 0-1, 1-0, 1-0.
A native of Hockessin, Del., Telford redshirted this past season while wrestling at 285 lbs. He pinned 13 opponents and scored two major decisions while posting a 22-4 record in open tournaments, winning his final 16 matches.
Each week, TheMat.com will select an Athlete of the Week, based upon performance within wrestling for that week. The selection committee will consider any level of wrestling, from youth programs through the Senior level.