Nov. 6, 2011
- Download your Iowa Hawkeye iPhone app!
- Iowa and the Big Ten Network
- Big Ten Network: Free Hawkeye Video
- 24 Hawkeyes to Watch
WEST LAFAYETTE, Ind. — The University of Iowa women’s tennis team ended its fall season at the Schwartz Tennis Challenge on Sunday. The Hawkeyes faced Purdue and Georgia Tech in doubles and Illinois in singles. Iowa dropped all three matches.
“Our goal was to get better every day of this tournament from a competing standpoint and we did that,” said head coach Katie Dougherty. “Our execution was better today in both singles and doubles. We played a number of different doubles pairings and had players playing in spots higher than they have all fall. The team responded well. We wrapped up the fall on a positive note today.”
Iowa dropped a 2-1 doubles decision against Purdue. Freshmen Ellen Silver and Katie Zordani earned their first victory of the season as a pair against Gisella Pere and Imogen Golder. Silver and Zordani won 8-4. The duo was 1-1 this fall.
Georgia Tech swept the Hawkeyes in doubles, earning a 3-0 victory.
Iowa ended the hidden dual tournament by playing Illinois in singles. The Hawkeyes fell one win short, as Illinois won 3-2. Sophomore Christina Harazin and freshman Shelby Talcott both earned three-set victories. Harazin topped Chelcie Abajian, 6-3, 1-6, 10-5, at the No. 5 position to improve to 5-6 this fall. Talcott defeated Allision Falkin, 7-6 (5), 1-6, 10-7, at the No. 2 spot. Talcott finished her first fall as a collegiate with a 7-6 record. Iowa did not compete at the No. 1 position.
The Hawkeyes will open their spring schedule Feb. 4 against Illinois State.
Purdue vs. Iowa
1. #46 Rabot/Schmidt (Purdue) def. Talcott/Harazin (Purdue), 8-2
2. Silver/Zordani (Iowa) def. Pere/Golder (Purdue), 8-4
3. Xepoleas/Vidal (Purdue) def. Escobar/Majercik (Iowa), 8-3
Georgia Tech vs. Iowa
1. Wacker/Ngo (GT) def. Zordani/Silver (Iowa), 8-0
2. Lilley/Minor (GT) def. Majercik/Talcott (Iowa), 8-3
3. Blau/Kilborn (GT) def. Harazin/Escobar (Iowa), 8-4
Iowa vs. Illinois
2. Shelby Talcott (Iowa) def. Allison Falkin (Illinois), 7-6 (5), 1-6, 10-7
3. Breanne Smutko (Illinois) def. Katie Zordani (Iowa), 6-3, 6-4
4. Misia Kedzierski (Illinois) def. Cassandra Escobar (Iowa), 6-3, 6-1
5. Christina Harazin (Iowa) def. Chelcie Abajian (Illinois), 6-3, 1-6, 10-5
6. Julia Jamieson (Illinois) def. Ellen Silver (Iowa), 6-1, 5-7, 10-7