Feb. 22, 2013
- Download your Iowa Hawkeye iPhone app!
- Download your Iowa Hawkeye Android app!
- Big Ten Network: Free Hawkeye Video
- 24 Hawkeyes to Watch
IOWA CITY, Iowa — The University of Iowa women’s tennis fell to No. 36 Oklahoma, 4-3, this evening at the Hawkeye Tennis and Recreation Complex.
“Oklahoma showed why they’re a very good team tonight,” said head coach Katie Dougherty. “We played and competed well, but they were able to pull out the crucial three setters. We’re knocking on the door of these big matches. I’ve seen a lot of improvement in the past couple of weeks, and I’m confident we will be winning these down the road. Right now we’re going to shift our focus to a good Marquette team tomorrow.”
Ruth Seaborne and Morven McCulloch defeated 36-ranked Hermone Brhane and Whitney Ritchie, 9-8 (7-5). The match marks their sixth straight victory to maintain their perfect doubles record. Oklahoma handed Iowa losses at the No. 2 and No. 3 spot to secure the doubles point.
Christina Harazin locked in the first singles point for the Hawkeyes, topping Zita Engbroks at the No. 5 position, 6-4, 6-4. Harazin’s win marks her sixth straight singles victory. Shelby Talcott and Caitlin Hindmarsh also recorded straight set victories. Oklahoma then delivered three-set losses to the Hawkeyes at the No. 1, No. 3, and No. 4 positions, including No. 123 Seaborne’s loss to No. 87 Hermone Brhane (7-6, 3-6, 6-4).
Iowa will host Marquette tomorrow at the Hawkeye Tennis and Recreation Complex. Doubles action is set to begin at 1 p.m.
Iowa 3, Oklahoma 4
1. #87 Hermone Brhane def. #123 Ruth Seaborne, 7-6, 3-6, 6-4
2. Shelby Talcott (Iowa) def. Mia Lancaster (Oklahoma), 6-3, 6-1
3. Abbi Melrose (Oklahoma) def. Morven McCulloch (Iowa), 3-6, 6-7, 3-6
4. Whitney Wofford (Oklahoma) def. Katie Zordani (Iowa), 4-6, 6-4, 3-6
5. Christina Harazin (Iowa) def. Zita Engbroks (Oklahoma), 6-4, 6-4
6. Caitlin Hindmarsh (Iowa) def. Emma Devine (Oklahoma), 7-5, 6-0
1. Seaborne/McCulloch (Iowa) def. #36 Brhane/Ritchie (Oklahoma), 9-8
2. Engbroks/Wofford (Oklahoma) def. Harazin/Zordani (Iowa), 8-6
3. Lancaster/Melrose (Oklahoma) def. Hindmarsh/Dohanics (Iowa), 8-5