March 20, 2013
- Download your Iowa Hawkeye iPhone app!
- Download your Iowa Hawkeye Android app!
- Big Ten Network: Free Hawkeye Video
- 24 Hawkeyes to Watch
LONG BEACH, Calif. — The University of Iowa women’s tennis team was upended by No. 41 Long Beach State on Wednesday at the Rhodes Tennis Center. The 74th-ranked Hawkeyes claimed the doubles point, but couldn’t hold on to the victory as the 49ers rallied to a 4-3 win.
“Long Beach State is a good team and played a little bit better than we did today,” said head coach Katie Dougherty. “We competed well and were better as matches went on.”
Iowa’s nationally ranked doubles tandem of Ruth Seaborne and Morven McCulloch got the Hawkeyes off to a strong start, winning the No. 1 doubles match 8-3. After Long Beach State claimed the No. 2 match, Shelby Talcott and Caitlin Hindmarsh pulled through in the clutch for the Hawkeyes. The duo won, 9-8 (8-5), to claim the doubles point.
Long Beach State won four-of-six singles matches to sneak past the Hawkeyes. Seaborne improved her singles record to 8-3 this season by winning the No. 1 singles match against Ebba Unden, 7-6 (7-3), 6-2. Seaborne, whose ranked 75th nationally in singles, has won her past three No. 1 singles matches. Hindmarsh also provided Iowa with a singles point, besting Anne-Sophie Willems 6-3, 3-6, 6-3 in the No. 6 match.
The Hawkeyes fall to 7-6 this season, while Long Beach State improves to 12-3
Iowa will be in action again tomorrow, facing Cal State Northridge (8-4) at the Matador Tennis Complex. Start time is set for 4 p.m. (CT).
#41 Long Beach State 4, #74 Iowa 3
1. #75 Ruth Seaborne (UI) def. Ebba Unden (LBSU) 7-6 (7-3), 6-2
2. Klaudia Malenovska (LBSU) def. Shelby Talcott (UI) 3-6, 6-1, 6-2
3. Sarah Cantlay (LBSU) def. Morven McCulloch (UI) 6-4, 7-6 (7-4)
4. Karolina Rozenberg (LBSU) def. Christina Harazin (UI) 6-2, 6-2
5. Anna Jeczmionka (LBSU) def. Katie Zordani (UI) 7-6 (7-3), 6-3
6. Caitlin Hindmarsh (UI) def. Anne-Sophie Willems (LBSU) 6-3, 3-6, 6-3
1. #45 Seaborne/McCulloch (UI) def. Unden/Rozenberg (LBSU) 8-3
2. Cantlay/Malenosvka (LBSU) def. Harazin/Zordani (UI) 8-2
3. Talcott/Hindmarsh (UI) def. Willems/Jeczmionka (LBSU) 9-8 (8-5)