Feb. 22, 2014
Download your Hawk Talk Monthly iOS app
Download your Hawk Talk Monthly android app
Big Ten Network: Free Hawkeye Video
Download your Iowa Hawkeye iPhone/iPad app
Download your Iowa Hawkeye android app
24 Hawkeyes to Watch
KALAMAZOO, Mich. — The University of Iowa men’s tennis team dropped its first match of the season Saturday afternoon, falling, 4-3, at Western Michigan. Iowa now stands at 5-1 (1-0) while Western Michigan improves to 7-4.
Iowa opened the match taking the doubles point once again. The duo of Jonas Dierckx/Juan Estenssoro won, 8-4, at No. 2 doubles to secure the point, while Matt Hagan/Joey White recorded an 8-2 victory at No. 3 doubles to get the Hawkeyes started.
The Hawkeyes fell into a hole once singles play began, as the Broncos picked up a pair of straight-set victories at No. 1 and No. 4 singles. Dominic Patrick picked up the first singles win at No. 5 singles when his opponent, Michael Treis, was forced to retire due to leg cramps. Senior Michael Swank registered the third point for Iowa when he came back to win 1-6, 7-6 (10-8), 7-5 at No. 6 singles.
Western Michigan rallied to take the final two matches in three sets to secure the victory.
Iowa returns to the courts this Wednesday, Feb. 26, as they travel to Des Moines to face Drake in an in-state battle. First serve is set to take place at 6 p.m. (CT).
Western Michigan 4, Iowa 3
1. Indre/Payne (WMU) def. Alden/Swank (UI): 8-5
2. Dierckx/J. Estenssoro (UI) def. Cahn/Treis (WMU): 8-4
3. Hagan/White (UI) def. Greiner/Beckwith (WMU): 8-2
1. Nadin Indre (WMU) def. Jonas Dierckx (UI): 7-6 (7-4), 6-3
2. Ruben Greiner (WMU) def. Juan Estenssoro (UI): 6-7 (6-8), 6-0, 6-4
3. Jim Beckwith (WMU) def. Brian Alden (UI): 6-4, 2-6, 7-5 (10-8)
4. Andrew Cahn (WMU) def. Matt Hagan (UI): 6-4, 7-6 (7-5)
5. Dominic Patrick (UI) def. Michael Treis (WMU): 6-1, 4-6, 4-5, retired
6. Michael Swank (UI) def. Matt Hamilton (WMU): 1-6, 7-6 (10-8), 7-5
Order of finish:
Doubles (3,1,2); Singles (4,1,5,6,3,2)