March 5, 2014
- Read the March issue of Hawk Talk Monthly
- Download your Hawk Talk Monthly iOS app
- Download your Hawk Talk Monthly android app
- Download your Iowa Hawkeye iPad and iPhone app!
- Download your Iowa Hawkeye Android app!
- Big Ten Network: Free Hawkeye Video
- 24 Hawkeyes to Watch
DES MOINES, Iowa – The University of Iowa women’s tennis team topped No. 72 Drake, 4-3, on Wednesday afternoon at the Roger Knapp Tennis Center, snapping the Bulldogs winning streak of seven games.
The Hawkeyes improved to 7-3 on the year, including 5-0 when winning the doubles point, and are riding a win streak of four straight matches.
“Doubles was key for us today,” said UI head coach Katie Dougherty. “We got off to a good start and put ourselves in a good position going into singles. I’m proud of the way the team competed in a tough environment. We’ll build off this win.”
The Hawkeyes secured the doubles point with victories at the No. 1 and No. 3 positions, giving them the early 1-0 lead.
Iowa’s top duo of senior Ruth Seaborne and junior Morven McCulloch picked up a shutout victory at the No. 1 position, boosting their record to 7-2. Junior Shelby Talcott and sophomore Annette Dohanics earned an 8-5 victory at the No. 3 slot. The duo holds a 5-2 record and has won five consecutive matches.
The momentum from doubles carried over to singles in the early going.
Seaborne, ranked No. 88, picked up Iowa’s first singles win of the day with a 6-1, 6-4 victory over Klavdija Rebol at the No. 1 position, giving the Hawkeyes a 2-0 advantage. The senior is 6-3 and has won four straight matches.
Iowa picked up two more victories at the No. 5 and No. 4 positions to seal the victory.
Dohanics improved to 6-2 on the season with a 6-2, 6-3 victory at the No. 5 spot, pushing her win streak to four straight. Junior Katie Zordani gave Iowa its final win of the day defeating Nell Boyd at the No. 4 position 6-2, 6-1. Zordani is now 7-2 this season
“Today’s match was an awesome team win for us,” said Dohanics. “Drake is always a tough team to play, especially when they bring a great crowd. We were able to dig deep and pull out four points on the road. It definitely feels good to get another win with the team.”
The Hawkeyes open up Big Ten play on Friday, March 14 with a road matchup against conference rival Nebraska. Doubles begin at 3 p.m. (CT) with singles to follow.
1. No. 88 Ruth Seaborne (IOWA) def. Klavdija Rebol (DU), 6-1, 6-4
2. Mariel Ante (DU) def. Morven McCulloch (IOWA), 7-6 (4), 6-4
3. Maddie Johnson (DU) def. Shelby Talcott (IOWA), 6-4, 7-5
4. Katie Zordani (IOWA) def. Nell Boyd (DU), 6-2, 6-1
5. Annette Dohanics (IOWA) def. Jordan Eggleston (DU), 6-2, 6-3
6. Lea Kozulic (DU) def. Ellen Silver (IOWA), 7-6 (4), 6-3
Order of Finish: 1,5,4,3,2,6
1. McCulloch/Seaborne (IOWA) def. Ante/Kozulic (DU), 8-0
2. Boyd/Eggleston (DU) leading Silver/Zordani (IOWA), 7-1 unfinished
3. Dohanics/Talcott (IOWA) def. Johnson/Rebol (DU), 8-5
Order of Finish: 1,3