March 30, 2016
- Read the March issue of Hawk Talk Monthly
- Download your Hawk Talk Monthly iOS app
- Download your Hawk Talk Monthly android app
- Download your Iowa Hawkeye iPad and iPhone app!
- Download your Iowa Hawkeye Android app!
- Big Ten Network: Free Hawkeye Video
- 24 Hawkeyes to Watch
DES MOINES, IA – The University of Iowa women’s tennis team defeated Drake University, 4-1, Wednesday afternoon at the Knapp Tennis Center in Des Moines, Iowa.
The Hawkeyes clinched the doubles point, leading the Bulldogs, 1-0, heading into singles play. Annette Dohanics and Anastasia Reimchen were the first doubles combination to lock up a win against Drake’s Mela Jaglarz and Mariel Ante, 6-2, at the No. 1 spot.
“Good team win for us today,” said UI head coach Katie Dougherty. “We won the doubles point, which felt good to get back on track with that. Drake competed well today, as we knew they would, we always have great matches with them and I’m proud of the way we battled today.”
Montana Crawford took the first singles win for the Hawkeyes, defeating Mela Jaglarz, 6-2, 6-0, at the No. 6 position. Crawford is now 3-0 for singles this season.
“Montana did a nice job at No. 6 putting the second point on the board and Anastasia was down 3-0 in the first set and found a way to battle back and win it,” said Dougherty. “Kristen played a great tiebreaker to clinch it for us.”
“It felt great to clinch for the first time for my team, said Kristen Thoms. “I felt confident going into the tiebreaker that would win it. I didn’t play my best tennis today, but I competed hard and I’m happy to get the win for the team.”
Both Zoe Douglas and Adorabol Huckleby’s matches went into a third set. Douglas led Maddie Johnson, 2-6, 6-3, 4-3, before the match was abandoned. Huckleby faced Summer Brills of Drake, 4-6, 6-3, 2-3, before the match was abandoned.
“We have a quick turnaround with Illinois Friday and we’ll use the momentum coming out of tonight’s win,” said Dougherty.
The Hawkeyes return to action this Friday at the University of Illinois, taking on the Fighting Illini at 6 p.m. (CT) in Champaign, Illinois at the Atkins Tennis Center.
IOWA 4, Drake 1
1. Anastasia Reimchen (IOWA) def. Mariel Ante (Drake), 7-5, 6-2
2. Zoe Douglas (IOWA) vs. Maddie Johnson (Drake), 2-6, 6-3, 4-3 Unfinished
3. Kristen Thoms (IOWA) def. Tess Herder (Drake), 6-4, 7-6
4. Adorabol Huckleby (IOWA) vs. Summer Brills (Drake), 4-6, 6-3, 2-3 Unfinished
5. Joely Lomas (Drake) def. Aimee Tarun (IOWA), 6-3, 7-6
6. Montana Crawford (IOWA) def. Mela Jaglarz (Drake), 6-2, 6-0
Order of Finish (6, 1, 5, 3)
1. Dohanics/Reimchen (IOWA) def. Jaglarz/Ante (Drake), 6-2
2. Tarun/Huckleby (IOWA) def. Johnson/Herder (Drake), 6-2
3. Brills/Lomas (Drake) def. Thoms/Tamblyn (IOWA), 6-3
Order of Finish (1, 3, 2)