April 1, 2016
- Read the April issue of Hawk Talk Monthly
- Download your Hawk Talk Monthly iOS app
- Download your Hawk Talk Monthly android app
- Download your Iowa Hawkeye iPad and iPhone app!
- Download your Iowa Hawkeye Android app!
- Big Ten Network: Free Hawkeye Video
- 24 Hawkeyes to Watch
CHAMPAIGN, Ill. – The University of Iowa women’s tennis team fell to the No. 53 ranked University of Illinois, 7-0, during Friday night’s match at the Atkins Tennis Center in Champaign, Illinois.
The Fighting Illini clinched the doubles point from the Hawkeyes to lead 1-0 heading into singles play. Anastasia Reimchen and Zoe Douglas fell to the No. 1 doubles combination of Louise Kwong and Ines Vias, 6-4.
Freshman Kristen Thoms and Taylor Tamblyn fell to Alexis Casati and Daniela Novak, 6-2, to solidify the doubles point for Illinois. Aimee Tarun and Adorabol Huckleby trailed a close match to Jerrika Boone and Madie Baillon, 5-4, before the match was abandoned.
“Disappointing result for us tonight,” said UI head coach Katie Dougherty. “Doubles was competitive at No. 1 and 2 and had a number of competitive sets. Illinois stepped up on the deuce games and when they needed to change momentum they were able to.”
Anastasia Reimchen fell to Louise Kwong, 6-1, 6-4 on court No. 1. Zoe Douglas fell to Alexis Casati, 6-3, 6-4. Freshman Kristen Thoms fell to Ines Vias, 6-0 in both sets. Madie Baillon of Illinois defeated Annette Dohanics, 7-5, 6-3. Freshman Adorabol Huckleby fell to Jerrika Boone on court No. 5. Junior Aimee Tarun dropped the No. 6 match, 6-4, 6-2 on court No. 6.
“We have a young team that have inconsistent performances at times and tonight was one of those times,” said Dougherty. “We have a day to regroup and will get back to work Sunday.”
The Hawkeyes return to the court Sunday in Evanston, Illinois for a Big Ten matchup against Northwestern at the Vandy Christie Tennis Center.
IOWA 0, Illinois 7
1. Louise Kwong (ILL) def. Anastasia Reimchen (IOWA), 6-1, 6-4
2. Alexis Casati (ILL) def. Zoe Douglas (IOWA), 6-3, 6-4
3. Ines Vias (ILL) def. Kristen Thoms (IOWA), 6-0, 6-0
4. Madie Baillon (ILL) def. Annette Dohanics (IOWA), 7-5, 6-3
5. Jerrika Boone (ILL) def. Adorabol Huckleby (IOWA), 7-6(2) 6-4
6. Jaclyn Switkes (ILL) def. Aimee Tarun (IOWA), 6-4, 6-2
Order of Finish (3, 6, 1, 2, 5, 4)
1. Kwong/Vias (ILL) def. Reimchen/Douglas (IOWA), 6-4
2. Boone/Baillon (ILL) led Tarun/Huckleby (IOWA), 5-4
3. Casati/Novak (ILL) def. Thoms/Tamblyn (IOWA), 6-2
Order of Finish (3, 1, 2)