The University of Iowa softball team makes its 2018 home debut hosting a double header against South Dakota State on Wednesday, March 21. The Hawkeyes and Jackrabbits meet at 2 p.m. (CT) at Pearl Field. Game two begins approximately 30 minutes after the conclusion of game one.
KILLIN’ IT KILIAN
- Junior Mallory Kilian blasted a solo home run on the first pitch at the Grand Canyon Invitational. The Hawkeyes went on to defeat Georgetown, 5-0.
- Kilian also recorded a personal-best two stolen bases against the Hoyas. These were the first two stolen bases of her career.
- Kilian leads Iowa with a .313 batting average, a .583 slugging percentage, and a .435 on-base percentage. She has a career-high four stolen bases and a team-high three home runs.
- Freshman Aralee Bogar has 18 hits, 15 runs, 11 stolen bases, and a .250 batting average during her time in black and gold.
- She also has a .333 slugging percentage and a .280 on-base percentage.
- Bogar is in the top five in the Big Ten with 11 stolen bases. She is currently a perfect 11-for-11 in stolen bases. She is the only athlete in the top five with a perfect stolen base percentage.
WOOD AT THE DISH
- Senior Allie Wood led the Hawkeyes at the plate against the 13th-ranked Sun Devils on March 14. She had two hits with a double for a .400 batting average.
- She also led Iowa with a .600 slugging percentage and tied a team-high .400 on-base percentage.
- Wood hit a double and scored one run in Iowa’s 3-1 victory over No. 13 Arizona State.
- The Cypress, Calif. native gave Iowa the advantage in its win over Wichita State, hitting her first career RBI triple to put the team up 1-0.
- After a career-high 15 strikeouts and a 2-0 weekend, sophomore pitcher Allison Doocy was named co-Big Ten Pitcher of the Week on March 12.
- The final 10 outs of the game against Georgetown on March 11 came from her hand.
- This was the first pitcher of the week award for Doocy and the first time a Hawkeye has earned the honor since Kayla Massey on March 31, 2014.
- Doocy was also selected as the College Sports Madness Big Ten Player of the Week.
- Doocy led the Hawkeyes to victory against No. 13 Arizona State on March 14.
- The sophomore had eight strikeouts and allowed six hits and just one walk in 7.0 innings against the Sun Devils.
- Doocy leads Iowa with a 1.08 ERA and 71 strikeouts in 64.0 innings pitched.
- The Ankeny, Iowa native is third in the Big Ten with a 1.08 ERA and fifth in strikeouts (75).
SCHNEIDER GOES YARD
- Sophomore McKenzie Schneider hit her first home run of the season at the Judi Garman Classic on March 4.
- The Southlake, Texas, native sent a two-run shot deep over the right-center field wall in Iowa’s 3-1 win over then-No. 8 Baylor.
- The homer was the second of her career.
- Schneider hit her second home run of the season — and the first grand slam of her career — to lift Iowa to victory over Creighton on March 17.
- The Hawkeyes defeated then-No. 8 Baylor, 3-1, in their final game at the Judi Garman Classic on March 4.
- Two of sophomore pitcher, Allison Doocy’s eight strikeouts were against Baylor’s Carlee Wallace, who had only struck out twice in 30 at-bats before the matchup.
- The win was Iowa’s first over a top 10 team since beating then-No. 4 Michigan in Ann Arbor on March 29, 2015.
- Five Hawkeyes — Sarah Kurtz (2), Wood (2), Devin Cantu (1), Monteer (1), and Schneider (1) — collected hits in the game.
- Three Hawkeyes threw complete games at the Texas A&M Invitational: freshman Lauren Shaw, sohpomore Allison Doocy, and junior Erin Riding.
- On Feb. 18, Doocy (2-2) allowed just two hits in Iowa’s 2-1 victory over Tulsa. The Ankeny, Iowa native tied a career-best 10 strikeouts in the game.
- Riding (1-0) threw a five inning run rule performance on Feb. 17 against Butler. She gave up two hits and no walks in the 8-0 win.
- Shaw wrapped up the weekend with an 11-3 triumph over Tulsa. She allowed just three runs on three hits and an error.
- Doocy also threw two complete games at the Judi Garman Classic. She pitched a total of 15.2 innings and went 1-1 on the weekend.
SOUTH DAKOTA STATE
- The Jackrabbits are 14-9 overall. The team is currently on a four game win streak after competing at the USF-Under Armour Showcase.
- Abbey Murphy leads SDSU with a .450 batting average. She has 36 hits with eight doubles and one triple for a .575 slugging percentage.
- Iowa leads the series, 9-0. The Hawkeyes and Jackrabbits last faced on March 19, 2017, when Iowa registered a 5-0 victory.
IN THE RANKINGS – B1G
Two Big Ten teams appear in the USA Today/NFCA Coaches Poll released on March 13: No. 17 Ohio State and No. 19 Michigan. Minnesota and Nebraska received votes.
General Admission (Public) – $15
General Admission (Fac/Staff) – $12
Season tickets are available at hawkeyesports.com/tickets, by calling 1-800-IA-HAWKS, or at the UI Athletics Ticket Office at the north entrance of Carver-Hawkeye Arena.
The Hawkeyes (12-10) open Big Ten play against No. 19 Michigan on Friday at 5 p.m. (CT) at Pearl Field. Iowa’s Big Ten opener will be aired live on BTN. Games two and three of the series are slated for Saturday at 2 p.m. and Sunday at 11:30 a.m., respectively.
FOLLOW THE HAWKEYES
For all of the latest news and information on Iowa softball, visit hawkeyesports.com. Fans can also follow the program on its social media outlets at Facebook.com/iowahawkeyessoftball and @iowasoftball on Twitter and Instagram.
LIVE STATS/LIVE STREAMING
Live stats and live streaming links for each game are on the softball schedule page at hawkeyesports.com.