Hawkeye Fan Shop — A Black & Gold Store | Hawk Talk Monthly — February | 24 Hawkeyes to Watch 2018-19 | USF Series
The University of Iowa softball team travels to Clearwater, Florida, for the USF Series from March 1-3, hosted by USF. The Hawkeyes open the tournament on Friday against Western Michigan at 2 p.m. (CT) and Binghamton at 4:30 p.m. On Saturday, Iowa faces Middle Tennessee State at 11:30 a.m. and USF at 4:30 p.m. The Hawkeyes close the tournament on Sunday with a matchup against Ball State at 8 a.m.
- The Hawkeyes went 5-for-5 at the Diamond 9 Citrus Classic last weekend, picking up wins over UAB, Fordham twice, Morgan State, and Notre Dame.
- Iowa recorded back-to-back shutouts over Morgan State (3-0) and Fordham (5-0) for the team’s first shutouts of the season.
- Junior DoniRae Mayhew led Iowa at the plate, batting .625 with three doubles and one home run.
- In the circle, junior Allison Doocy picked up three wins, throwing three complete games, including a one-hitter against Fordham on Feb. 23.
- Junior pitcher Allison Doocy earned three more wins at the Diamond 9 Citrus Classic last weekend.
- Doocy has thrown a complete game in all six of her wins and has won five consecutive games.
- The Ankeny, Iowa, native threw her first shutout of the season in a 5-0 victory over Fordham.
- Doocy added 19 strikeouts over the weekend, bringing her season total to 59. She is tied for third in the Big Ten and trails Indiana’s Tara Trainer by six for the conference lead.
THIS GIRL IS ON FIRE
- Junior DoniRae Mayhew is Iowa’s most effective player at the plate this season.
- Mayhew is batting .385 with four doubles, two home runs, and eight RBIs through 14 games.
- Mayhew had a breakout weekend at the Diamond 9 Citrus Classic last weekend. Mayhew batted .625 (10-for-14) with a 1.000 slugging percentage, three doubles, and a home run in Iowa’s five games.
- Mayhew currently boasts a team-high seven game hitting streak and has reached base in each of her last 10 games.
- During Mayhew’s seven game hitting streak she is batting .619 (13-for-21) with four doubles, eight RBIs, two home runs, and a 1.095 slugging percentage, while striking out twice.
- Iowa’s current six game winning streak includes victories over Umass, UAB, Fordham twice, Morgan State, and Notre Dame.
- The six-game winning streak is the team’s longest since Iowa won six straight games from Feb. 18-26, 2011. The Hawkeyes defeated Idaho State, Seattle University, Albany, Florida Gulf Coast, UMBC, and Eastern Michigan.
I’D LIKE TO REPORT A THEFT
- Sophomore Aralee Bogar is 8-for-8 this season stealing bases, extending her perfect stolen base streak to 31, dating back to last season.
- Bogar ranks second in the conference with eight stolen bases behind Indiana’s Taylor Lambert (11).
- Last season, Bogar was the only player in the Big Ten to boast a perfect stealing percentage with 23 stolen bases (Min. 20 attempts).
- Freshman catcher Abby Lien has been a frequen target for opposing baserunners.
- Through 14 games, Lien has been tested 20 times, while throwing out four baserunners, which ranks second in the Big Ten.
HAWKEYES MOVE UP IN B1G STANDINGS
- After sweeping the Diamond 9 Citrus Classic last weekend, the Hawkeyes moved up two spots in the Big Ten standings, overtaking Michigan and Rutgers for 10th.
- Malloy Kilian is leading by example in her senior year.
- The Fort Dodge, Iowa, native ranks second on the team, averaging .308 at the plate (min. 30 at-bats).
- Kilian recorded both doubles in back-to-back at-bats against Umass on Feb. 17.
- Kilian’s two doubles against Umass was the first time Kilian has hit more than one double in a single game in her career.
- Kilian is second on the team with six walks.
THOMPSON GOES YARD
- Junior Lea Thompson hit her first career home run against Saint Joseph’s on Feb. 16.
- Thompson entered as a pinch-hitter in the top of the seventh inning and drove a pitch deep to center field.
- Western Michigan is 0-5 to begin the season.
- At the plate, the Broncos are led by Mackenzie Swinehard, who is batting .529.
- The Broncos opened the season at the Kajikawa Classic Feb. 8-10.
- Western Michigan is coached by Kathy Leitke, who is in her 18th season.
- Binghamton is 3-1 this season.
- The Bearcats picked up wins over CSU Bakersfield (9-3), Cal State, Northridge (7-5), and Santa Clara (8-3).
- On Feb. 19, Binghamton swept the America East Weekly softball awards. Makayla Alvarez earned Player of the Week honors, Rayn Gibson won the week’s top pitcher, and Marissa Braito won the Rookie of the Week award.
- Binghamton is led by Michelle Johnston, who enters her 10th season.
- Middle Tennessee State enters the USF Series with a record of 7-8.
- The Blue Raiders scored a season-high 14 runs in a win over Siena on Feb. 23.
- MTSU is coached by Jeff Breeden.
- USF is 8-7 on the season with wins in five of its last six games.
- The Bulls defeated No. 9/9 Arizona, 4-1, on Feb. 15.
- USF is coached by Ken Eriksen.
- Ball State boasts an 11-5 record heading into the USF Series.
- The Cardinals are on a three-game winning streak with wins over CSU Bakersfield, Utah State, and Montana.
- On Feb. 19, pitcher Alyssa Rothwell was named the Mid-American Conference Pitcher of the Week. Rothwell broke the league’s career saves record with 17.
- Season tickets for Iowa’s 13 home games are on sale now at the UI ticket office inside Carver-Hawkeye Arena.
- A reserved bleacher seat is $20 for the season and general admission season tickets are $15.
- Single game tickets are also on sale to the general public for $5, while fans 18 years and younger receive free admission.