Hawk Talk Monthly — April | 24 Hawkeyes to Watch | Wisconsin (PDF)
This weekend, the University of Iowa softball team travels to Madison, Wisc., for a three-game set against the Badgers. Friday’s game is scheduled for 5 p.m., Saturday’s first pitch is at 1 p.m., and the series concludes Sunday at 3 p.m. on the Big Ten Network.
- The Hawkeyes are leading the Big Ten in triples this season.
- Iowa has 12 triples on the season, leads the Big Ten by two, and its 0.40 triples per game is 12th in the country.
- Iowa leads the Big Ten by two triples (Nebraska, 10).
- Sophomore Aralee Bogar is second in the conference with three triples.
- Junior Lea Thompson, Senior Mallory Kilian, and freshman Abby Lien all have pair of triples this season.
CAN’T CATCH THIS KID
- Sophomore Aralee Bogar is 21-for-23 this season stealing bases.
- Bogar had stolen 43 consecutive bases to begin her career.
- Bogar ranks first in the conference with 201stolen bases.
- After stealing at least one base in every game at the Saluki Invitational March 8-10, Bogar has swiped a base in 11 of her last 15 games.
- Last season, Bogar was the only player in the Big Ten to boast a perfect stealing percentage with 23 stolen bases (Min. 20 attempts).
- Mallory Kilian is leading by example in her senior year.
- The Fort Dodge, Iowa, native ranks second on the team, averaging .289 at the plate (min. 50 at-bats).
- At the USF Series March 1-3, Kilian batted .438 with four doubles, a triple, and a home run.
- Kilian finished the weekend with a 1.000 slugging percentage and 16 total bases.
- Kilian recorded two doubles in a game for the second time this season against Ball State on March 3.
- In the field, Kilian has a .957 fielding percentage in her return to third base.
IOWA’S JUCO PLAYER OF THE YEAR
- Junior DoniRae Mayhew is Iowa’s most powerful hitter in 2019.
- Mayhew leads the Hawkeyes with a .310 batting average and three home runs, while slugging .500 in her first season at the DI level.
- Mayhew recorded Iowa’s second hit of conference play at Purdue on March 22 with a solo home run in the first inning.
- Mayhew is the reigning Junior College Player of the Year after batting .446 with a nation-leading 30 home runs.
- In the circle, Mayhew posted a 20-3 record with a 2.08 ERA and four shutouts.
- Junior pitcher Allison Doocy picked up her 12th win of the season in a 2-1 win over Purdue on March 23.
- Doocy has thrown a team-high 12 complete games averaging 7.5 strikeouts in those games.
- The Ankeny, Iowa, native ranks second in the Big Ten with 131.2 innings pitched and fourth in the conference with 128 strikeouts.
- The Hawkeyes have been the first team to score in 15 games this season and are 14-1 in those games.
- Iowa is 10-1 this season when scoring in the first inning.
- In addition, Iowa is undefeated when leading after the third inning.
- Iowa has scored a team-high 18 runs in the third and seventh innings this season.
- The Hawkeyes captured their first run-rule victory of the season on March 10 against UW-Green Bay, winning 12-0 in five innings.
- After scoring a run in the first, Iowa scored four runs in the second and third and added three more in the fourth.
- Sophomore Aralee Bogar hit her first home run of the season and second of her career. She finished the day 3-for-3 with four RBIs.
- Freshman Halle Ketcham added three RBIs and a triple.
DOOCY NAMED B1G PITCHER OF THE WEEK
- Junior Allison Doocy was named the Big Ten Pitcher of the Week on March 11 following her performance at the Saluki Invitational March 8-10.
- Doocy tossed two complete games, striking out 19, and giving up only two runs in 18 innings of work.
- The nod is Doocy’s second Pitcher of the Week award of her career (March 12, 2018) and third conference award. She was named the Big Ten Freshman of the Week on April 17, 2017.
HAWKEYE WINNING STREAK
- The Hawkeye’s eight-game winning streak ended on March 2 against Middle Tennessee.
- Iowa’s eight game winning streak was the program’s longest since 2009. That year, Iowa won 42 games and went to the Atlanta Super Regional.
- During Iowa’s winning streak, junior Allison Doocy held a .74 ERA with 31 strikeouts and 4 earned runs.
- At the plate, junior DoniRae Mayhew batted .556 with four doubles, two home runs and eight RBIs.
- Wisconsin is 27-5 and 4-2 in the Big Ten this year.
- The Badgers are on a five-game winning streak that includes a three-game sweep over Penn State and a two wins over Northern Iowa.
- Wisconsin is averaging nine runs per game during its streak.
- Kayla Konwent and Taylor Johnson lead Wisconsin offensively, batting .490 and .402, respectively.
- Haley Hestekin leads the team in the circle with a 1.08 ERA.
- The Badgers are coached by Yvette Healy, who is in her ninth season.
Season tickets for Iowa’s 12 home games are on sale now at the UI ticket office inside Carver-Hawkeye Arena.
A reserved bleacher seat is $20 for the season and general admission season tickets are $15.
Single game tickets are also on sale to the general public for $5, while fans 18 years and younger receive free admission.
FOLLOW THE HAWKEYES
For all of the latest news and information on Iowa softball, visit hawkeyesports.com. Fans can also follow the program on its social media outlets at Facebook.com/iowahawkeyessoftball and @iowasoftball on Twitter and Instagram.
Live stats and live streaming links for each game are on the softball schedule page at hawkeyesports.com.