The University of Iowa softball team hosts Iowa State in the annual Iowa Corn Cy-Hawk series on Tuesday at 6 p.m. (CT). This weekend, Iowa welcomes Illinois for a three-game set.
RAIN RAIN GO AWAY
- The Hawkeyes rescheduled their midweek matchup against Iowa State for Tuesday at 6 p.m.
- The game was originally set for a 6 p.m. first pitch on Wednesday.
- Iowa has had six games altered due to weather in 2019, inclduing two in the last four.
- The Hawkeyes are leading the Big Ten in triples this season.
- Iowa has 13 triples on the season, leading the Big Ten by two, and its 0.39 triples per game is 7th in the country.
- Iowa’s 10 triples leads the Big Ten by three (Nebraska, 10).
- Sophomore Aralee Bogar and senior Mallory Kilian are tied for second in the conference with three triples.
- In addition to Bogar and Kilian, junior Lea Thompson and freshmen Sydney Owens, Abby Lien, Kate Claypool, and Hallie Ketcham have all added triples.
CAN’T CATCH THIS KID
- Sophomore Aralee Bogar is 21-for-24 this season stealing bases.
- Bogar leads the Big Ten by two stolen bases with 21.
- Bogar had stolen 43 consecutive bases to begin her career.
- In 2018, Bogar was the only player in the Big Ten to boast a perfect stealing percentage with 23 stolen bases (Min. 20 attempts).
- Junior pitcher Allison Doocy is one of the Big Ten’s most dominant pitchers in 2019.
- Doocy ranks fifth in the Big Ten in total strikeouts with 143.
- Doocy is second in the conference with 142.2 innings pitched.
- Doocy has thrown a team-high 12 complete games averaging 7.5 strikeouts in those games.
- Mallory Kilian is leading by example in her senior year.
- The Fort Dodge, Iowa, native ranks second on the team, averaging .276 at the plate (min. 80 at-bats).
- Kilian is tied for first in the Big Ten play with two triples.
- At the USF Series March 1-3, Kilian batted .438 with four doubles, a triple, and a home run.
- Kilian finished the weekend with a 1.000 slugging percentage and 16 total bases.
- Kilian recorded two doubles in a game for the second time this season against Ball State on March 3.
- In the field, Kilian has a .957 fielding percentage in her return to third base.
IOWA’S JUCO PLAYER OF THE YEAR
- Junior DoniRae Mayhew is Iowa’s most powerful hitter in 2019.
- Mayhew leads the Hawkeyes with a .310 batting average and three home runs, while slugging .500 in her first season at the DI level.
- Mayhew recorded Iowa’s second hit of conference play at Purdue on March 22 with a solo home run in the first inning.
- Mayhew is the reigning Junior College Player of the Year after batting .446 with a nation-leading 30 home runs.
- In the circle, Mayhew posted a 20-3 record with a 2.08 ERA and four shutouts.
- The Hawkeyes have been the first team to score in 15 games this season and are 14-1 in those games.
- Iowa is 10-1 this season when scoring in the first inning.
- In addition, Iowa is undefeated when leading after the third inning.
- Iowa has scored a team-high 18 runs in the third and seventh innings this season.
DOOCY NAMED B1G PITCHER OF THE WEEK
- Junior Allison Doocy was named the Big Ten Pitcher of the Week on March 11 following her performance at the Saluki Invitational March 8-10.
- Doocy tossed two complete games, striking out 19, and giving up only two runs in 18 innings of work.
- The nod is Doocy’s second Pitcher of the Week award of her career (March 12, 2018) and third conference award. She was named the Big Ten Freshman of the Week on April 17, 2017.
HAWKEYE WINNING STREAK
- The Hawkeye’s eight-game winning streak ended on March 2 against Middle Tennessee.
- Iowa’s eight game winning streak was the program’s longest since 2009. That year, Iowa won 42 games and went to the Atlanta Super Regional.
- During Iowa’s winning streak, junior Allison Doocy held a .74 ERA with 31 strikeouts and 4 earned runs.
- At the plate, junior DoniRae Mayhew batted .556 with four doubles, two home runs and eight RBIs.
- Iowa State is 22-15 on the season and 1-5 in the Big 12.
- The Cyclones are on a four-game winning streak, including a three-game sweep over Georgia Tech in Ames.
- Sami Williams leads Iowa State at the plate, batting .398 with 10 home runs in 37 games.
- In the circle, Emma Hylen is 10-5 with a 2.26 ERA in 22 appearances. She has also pitched eight complete games and one shutout.
- The Cyclones are coached by Jamie Pinkerton, who is in his second season.
- Illinois is 24-11 in 2019 and 4-5 in the Big Ten.
- The Illini are set for face Missouri in a doubleheaer on Tuesday, April 9, before heading to Iowa City this weekend.
- Bella Loya is batting .410 with 11 home runs and 38 RBIs, which ranks fifth in the Big Ten.
- In the circle, Sydney Sickels leads the way, pitching in 27 games and accumulating a 16-5 record with a 3.11 ERA.
- Illinois is coached by Tyra Perry, who is in her fourth season.
- Season tickets for Iowa’s 9 home games are on sale now at the UI ticket office inside Carver-Hawkeye Arena.
- A reserved bleacher seat is $20 for the season and general admission season tickets are $15.
- Single game tickets are also on sale to the general public for $5, while fans 18 years and younger receive free admission.
FOLLOW THE HAWKEYES
For all of the latest news and information on Iowa softball, visit hawkeyesports.com. Fans can also follow the program on its social media outlets at Facebook.com/iowahawkeyessoftball and @iowasoftball on Twitter and Instagram.
Live stats and live streaming links for each game are on the softball schedule page at hawkeyesports.com.