This week, the University of Iowa softball team travels to Cedar Falls, Iowa, for a Tuesday night game against the Panthers at 5 p.m.(CT) inside the UNI-Dome. This weekend, Iowa hosts Ohio State for its final Big Ten series of 2019.
THOMPSON STEALS ONE
- Junior Lea Thompson robbed a home run off of Minnesota’s Hope Brander on April 26.
- In the bottom of the third inning, Brander launched a long fly ball toward the left field wall. Thompson timed the play and made a leaping catch over the wall to record the first out of the inning.
DOOCY GETS 500TH STRIKEOUT
- Junior pitcher Allison Doocy recorded her 500th career strikeout against Nebraska on April 24.
- Doocy became the seventh Hawkeye in program history to accomplish the feat.
- This season, Doocy ranks fourth in the Big Ten in total strikeouts with 186.
- Doocy is third in the conference with 182.2 innings pitched.
CECIL HACKS HUSKERS
- Freshman Cameron Cecil had the Huskers’ number during Iowa and Nebraska’s doubleheader on April 24.
- Cecil registered four hits, going four-for-six on the day with an RBI and a run scored.
- Cecil is batting .333 over her last five games.
LEHMAN STEPS UP
- Sophomore pitcher Sarah Lehman was Iowa’s number one pitcher against Drake and Rutgers.
- Lehman saw action in three games, including two complete games and one shutout over the Scarlet Knights.
- Lehman threw a total of 17 innings with 11 strikeouts. She set a career-high with five strikeouts against Rutgers on April 19.
- Lehman finished the week with a 1.65 ERA.
- Lehman has set career highs for strikeouts in two of her last three games.
SCHULTE’S GRAND SLAM
- Freshman Miranda Schulte got the most off of her first career home run against Illinois on April 13.
- With the bases loaded in the bottom of the second, Schulte pulled a 1-1 pitch over the left field wall.
- The home run was Iowa’s 10th on the season and first grand slam.
- The Hawkeyes are leading the Big Ten in triples this season.
- Iowa has 14 triples on the season, leading the Big Ten by three, and its 0.34 triples per game is 16th in the country.
- Iowa’s 14 triples leads the Big Ten by three (Nebraska, Minnesota; 11).
- Sophomore Aralee Bogar and senior Mallory Kilian are tied for second in the conference with three triples.
- In addition to Bogar and Kilian, junior Lea Thompson and freshmen Sydney Owens, Abby Lien, Kate Claypool, Ashley Hamilton, and Hallie Ketcham have all added triples.
MAYHEW HOMERS TWICE VS ILLINOIS
- Junior DoniRae Mayhew notched her first home runs since Iowa’s Big Ten opener at Purdue on March 22.
- Mayhew launched solo shots in the fifth and seventh innings against Illinois on April 13.
- Mayhew is tied for the team lead with five home runs this season.
CAN’T CATCH THIS KID
- Sophomore Aralee Bogar is 24-for-27 this season stealing bases.
- Bogar leads the Big Ten by three stolen bases with 24.
- Bogar had stolen 43 consecutive bases to begin her career.
- In 2018, Bogar was the only player in the Big Ten to boast a perfect stealing percentage with 23 stolen bases (Min. 20 attempts).
IOWA’S JUCO PLAYER OF THE YEAR
- Junior DoniRae Mayhew is Iowa’s most powerful hitter in her first year at Iowa.
- Mayhew leads the Hawkeyes with a .279 batting average and five home runs, while slugging .467 in her first season at the DI level.
- Mayhew recorded Iowa’s second hit of conference play at Purdue on March 22 with a two-run home run in the first inning.
- Mayhew is the reigning Junior College Player of the Year after batting .446 with a nation-leading 30 home runs.
- In the circle, Mayhew posted a 20-3 record with a 2.08 ERA and four shutouts.
- The Hawkeyes have been the first team to score in 17 games this season and are 16-1 in those games.
- Iowa is 10-2 this season when scoring in the first inning.
- Iowa is 11-2 when leading after the fourth inning.
- Iowa has scored a team-high 24 runs in the second inning this season, while giving up a team-low 13 runs in the fifth inning.
DOOCY NAMED B1G PITCHER OF THE WEEK
- Junior Allison Doocy was named the Big Ten Pitcher of the Week on March 11 following her performance at the Saluki Invitational March 8-10.
- Doocy tossed two complete games, striking out 19, and giving up only two runs in 18 innings of work.
- The nod is Doocy’s second Pitcher of the Week award of her career (March 12, 2018) and third conference award. She was named the Big Ten Freshman of the Week on April 17, 2017.
HAWKEYE WINNING STREAK
- The Hawkeye’s eight-game winning streak ended on March 2 against Middle Tennessee.
- Iowa’s eight game winning streak was the program’s longest since 2009. That year, Iowa won 42 games and went to the Atlanta Super Regional.
- During Iowa’s winning streak, junior Allison Doocy held a .74 ERA with 31 strikeouts and 4 earned runs.
- At the plate, junior DoniRae Mayhew batted .556 with four doubles, two home runs and eight RBIs.
- Northern Iowa enters Tuesday’s game at 22-22 and 13-10 in conference.
- The Panthers are on a four-game skid, with losses to Southern Illinois and Drake.
- Sammey Bunch leads the Panthers with a .407 batting average and 16 home runs.
- In the circle, Emma Olejniczak leads UNI with 16 starts and holds a 6.38 ERA.
- UNI is coached by Ryan Jacobs, who is in his 12th season.
FOLLOW THE HAWKEYES
For all of the latest news and information on Iowa softball, visit hawkeyesports.com. Fans can also follow the program on its social media outlets at Facebook.com/iowahawkeyessoftball and @iowasoftball on Twitter and Instagram.
Live stats and live streaming links for each game are on the softball schedule page at hawkeyesports.com.