Herky the Hawk is at the forefront of the University of Iowa, providing the BLACK and GOLD at intercollegiate athletics and UI campus/community events staged annually at the University of Iowa, throughout the state and nationally. Herky attends over 500 hours of events during a year.
Herky the Hawk leads 70,000 Hawkeye fans inside Kinnick Stadium as they cheer for the nationally-ranked Iowa Football team.
Crowds of up to 15,500 who cheer on Iowa’s men’s and women’s basketball, wrestling, gymnastics, and volleyball teams rely on the energy of Herky the Hawk at events staged inside Carver Hawkeye Arena and Extreme Arena.
Hawkeye Fans around Iowa Athletics can see Herky the Hawk at their events cheering on their favorite athletes, all while stopping for a picture or two or ten with his mass of fans at each of the events.
Herky the Hawk is a full-time ambassador for the University of Iowa. The iconic mascot can be seen around campus, around the state, and even around the Nation, making Hawkeye Fans stand up for the Black and Gold and yell ‘Let’s Go Hawks!’. Herky The Hawk also represents Iowa at UCA College Nationals.
A unique way to represent the Iowa Hawkeyes while getting an education from one of the premiere universities in the Big Ten.
A great way experience college and get make some unforgettable memories to last a lifetime.
- Iconic mascot of the University of Iowa since 1948
- Made into a public art display with the 2004 & 2014 Herkys On Parade Campaign around Iowa City, IA
- Placed 4th at UCA College Nationals in 2015
Herky the Hawk Commitment
- All schedule information will be given at the first meeting for the 2021-2022 Spirit Squads.
- PR events will happen throughout the summer.
- Mandatory Pre Camp Practice will be held two weeks prior to UCA camp.
- UCA Camp (usually the first week of August in Wisconsin Dells, WI).
- YOU MUST SCHEDULE CLASSES AROUND PRACTICES AND GAMES.
- Meetings begins one week prior to the start of classes.
- Meeting/Practice: At a time determined by the team – once weekly
- PR Event schedule varies weekly – team members are expected to be flexible
- Practice/PR Events over Winter Break: dependent on competition at UCA College Nationals in January
- Herky the Hawk is required to attend events sponsored by the athletic department. These include, but are not limited to Football Games, Men’s and Women’s Basketball Games, Volleyball Games, Wrestling Meets, Gymnastics Meets, as well as other requests as they come up.
- Herky the Hawk works at all Iowa Spirit Squad fundraisers.
- Herky the Hawk is required to attend assigned Public Relations events. Team members are expected to share the responsibility of the events.
- All travel, hotel accommodations, per diem, practice apparel (Nike/Varsity), shoes, uniforms, costumes and choreography expenses are provided by the University of Iowa Spirit Squad.
- Optional apparel, i.e. team sweats, will be paid by the individual.
- In the event you do not finish the season or are dismissed from the program, you will be required to reimburse the University of Iowa for payments made on your behalf.
- Scholarships are available to 2nd, 3rd and 4th year members, as well as a few financial need scholarships, through the Mary Lee Hawkeye Spirit Fund.