The Iowa Dance Team is at the forefront of the University of Iowa, providing the BLACK and GOLD at intercollegiate athletics and UI campus/community events staged annually at the University of Iowa, throughout the state and nationally.
The Iowa Dance Team provides entertainment for the 70,000 fans who routinely fill Kinnick Stadium to capacity for home games of the nationally-ranked Iowa Football team.
Crowds of up to 15,500 who cheer on Iowa’s men’s and women’s basketball, wrestling and volleyball teams rely on the energy of the Iowa Dance Team at events staged inside Carver Hawkeye Arena and Extreme Arena.
The student-athletes that make up the Iowa Dance Team are full-time ambassadors for the University of Iowa. Made up of the best overall dancers at UI, they also represent Iowa on the competition stage at ISDTA and UDA College Nationals.
Every once in a while you come across an opportunity and make a decision that will change your life forever. The Iowa Dance Team is a family and performing for the Hawkeyes is an experience that you will never forget!
- 3rd – Highest placement achieved at UDA Nationals (2017 and 2020)
- 11 – Years of consecutive Top 10 finishes at nationals
- 5 – States represented on the Iowa Dance Team
Iowa Dance Team Commitment
- All schedule information will be given at the first meeting for the 2021-2022 Dance Team.
- Mandatory Practice Weekends will be held once a month on weekends in May, June and July.
- Mandatory Pre Camp Practice will be held two weeks prior to UDA camp.
- UDA Camp (Usually the first week of August in Wisconsin Dells, WI).
School Year Practices:
- YOU MUST SCHEDULE CLASSES AROUND PRACTICES AND GAMES.
- Practice begins one week prior to the start of classes.
- Weekly Practices: Tuesday, Thursday 6:00-9:30 pm and Saturdays/Sundays as scheduled.
- Lifting: 2-3 times per week, TBD (example: Tuesday/Thursday/Friday 8-9 am)
- Football game weeks: Fridays, 4:15 pm at Hawkeye Marching Band Facility
- Dance Team members are required to attend events sponsored by the athletic department.
- Dance Team members work at all Iowa Spirit Squad fundraisers.
- All travel, hotel accommodations, per diem, practice apparel (Nike/Varsity), shoes, uniforms, costumes and choreography expenses are provided by the University of Iowa Spirit Squad.
- Optional apparel, i.e. team sweats, will be paid by the individual.
- In the event you do not finish the season or are dismissed from the program, you will be required to reimburse the University of Iowa for payments made on your behalf.
- Scholarships are available to 3rd and 4th year members through the Mary Lee Hawkeye Spirit Fund.