The Iowa Cheerleaders are at the forefront of the University of Iowa, providing the BLACK and GOLD at intercollegiate athletics and UI campus/community events staged annually at the University of Iowa, throughout the state and nationally.
The Iowa Cheerleaders lead 70,000 Hawkeye fans inside Kinnick Stadium as they cheer for the nationally-ranked Iowa Football team.
Crowds of up to 15,500 who cheer on Iowa’s men’s and women’s basketball, wrestling, gymnastics and volleyball teams rely on the energy of the Iowa Cheerleaders at events staged inside Carver Hawkeye Arena and Extreme Arena.
The student-athletes that make up the Iowa Cheerleaders are full-time ambassadors for the University of Iowa. Made up of the best overall Cheerleaders at the University of Iowa, they also represent Iowa at UCA College Nationals.
An amazing opportunity to represent the Iowa Hawkeyes as you get an education from one of the premier Big Ten Universities in the nation. A great way to get the most out of your college career and create everlasting bonds with teammates and an unforgettable set of memories to last a lifetime.
Iowa Cheerleading Commitment
- All schedule information will be given at the first meeting for the Iowa Cheerleaders.
- Mandatory Practice Weekends will be held once a month on weekends in May, June, and July.
- Mandatory Pre Camp Practice will be held a week prior to UDA camp.
- UDA Camp (Usually the first week of August in Wisconsin Dells, WI).
School Year Practices:
- YOU MUST SCHEDULE CLASSES AROUND PRACTICES AND GAMES.
- Practice begins one week prior to the start of classes.
- Weekly Practices: Monday, Wednesday, Friday 4:00-7:00pm.
- Some weekend practices as scheduled
- Practice over Winter Break: dependent on competition at UCA College Nationals in January
- Lifting: 2-3 times per week, TBD (example: Tuesday/Thursday/Friday 8-9 am)
- Iowa Cheerleaders are required to attend events sponsored by the athletic department. These include, but are not limited to Football Games, Men’s and Women’s Basketball Games, Volleyball Games, Men’s Wrestling Meets, as well as other requests as they come up.
- Iowa Cheerleaders work at all Iowa Spirit Squad fundraisers.
- Iowa Cheerleaders are required to attend assigned Public Relations events.
- All travel, hotel accommodations, per diem, practice apparel (Nike/Varsity), shoes (NIKE), uniforms (Varsity), and choreography expenses are provided by the University of Iowa Spirit Squad.
- Optional apparel, i.e. team tees or sweats, will be paid by the individual.
- In the event you do not finish the season or are dismissed from the program, you will be required to reimburse the University of Iowa for payments made on your behalf.
- Scholarships are available to 3rd and 4th year members, as well as a few financial need and skills scholarships, through the Mary Lee Hawkeye Spirit Fund.