April 22, 2006
<?xml:namespace prefix=”st1″ ns=”urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:smarttags”?>WEST LAFAYETTE, IN – The University of Iowa men’s tennis team faced competition Saturday from Purdue in West Lafayette, IN. The Hawkeyes were narrowly defeated, 4-3. <?xml:namespace prefix=”o” ns=”urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office”?>
In singles competition, Iowa started with two wins. Sophomore Bart van Monsjou defeated Colin Foster in the No. 1 match, 7-5, 5-7, 6-4. In the No. 2 match, freshman Christian Bierich defeated Scott Warner, 6-2, 4-6, 6-2. Purdue went on to defeat the Hawkeyes in the remaining singles matches. In the No. 3 match, sophomore J.P. Ritchie was defeated by Eric Hodgman, 6-1, 3-6, 6-4. Senior Chaitu Malempati was defeated by Jarred Leibner in the No. 4 match, 6-3, 6-4. Senior Brett Taylor was defeated by Kurt Zaske in the No. 5 match, 6-4, 6-4. Freshman Greg Holm, playing the No. 6 match, was defeated by Matt Zollman, 6-1, 4-6, 6-2.
Iowa won two of three matches to snag the doubles point. In the No. 1 match, van Monsjou teamed with Ritchie. The pair was defeated by Foster and Zaske, 8-5. Taylor and senior Kyle Markham defeated Hodgman and Griffin Nienberg in the No. 2 match, 8-2. In the No. 3 match, Bierich and senior Aaron Schaechterle were defeated by Jose Fuenmayor and Kelubia Mabatah, 8-2.
With this loss, the Hawkeyes fall to 6-12 overall and 1-8 in the Big Ten. Iowa will play its final match of the Big Ten regular season tomorrow when it faces Illinois. Competition will begin at noon at the AtkinsTennisCenter in Urbana, IL.
1. Bart van Monsjou (IOWA) def. Colin Foster (PUR) 7-5, 5-7, 6-4
2. Christian Bierich (IOWA) def. Scott Warner (PUR) 6-2, 4-6, 6-2
3. Eric Hodgman (PUR) def. J.P. Ritchie (IOWA) 6-1, 3-6, 6-4
4. Jarred Leibner (PUR) def. Chaitu Malempati (IOWA) 6-3, 6-4
5. Kurt Zaske (PUR) def. Brett Taylor (IOWA) 6-4, 6-4
6. Matt Zollman (PUR) def. Greg Holm (IOWA) 6-1, 4-6, 6-2
1. Foster/Zaske (PUR) def. van Monsjou/Ritchie (IOWA) 8-5
2. Taylor/Kyle Markham (IOWA) def. Hodgman/Griffin Nienberg (PUR) 8-2
3. Bierich/Aaron Schaechterle (IOWA) def. Jose Fuenmayor/Kelubia Mabatah (PUR) 8-2