Feb. 27, 2011
- Download your Iowa Hawkeye iPhone app!
- Iowa and the Big Ten Network
- Big Ten Network: Free Hawkeye Video
- 24 Hawkeyes to Watch
COLOMBIA, Mo. — The University of Iowa women’s tennis team dropped a 4-3 decision against Missouri (6-1 overall) Sunday at the Green Tennis Center. The No. 65 Hawkeyes fell to 2-6 overall on the season and 1-4 while playing on the road.
“We competed very well today, but Missouri was a little better than we were in spots,” said Head Coach Katie Dougherty. “We’ve had a number of close matches like this and if we continue to do the right things and battle like we did today the close matches will start falling our way.”
Iowa won the doubles point, jumping out to an early 1-0 lead. At the No. 1 position, junior Sonja Molnar and senior Lynne Poggensee-Wei topped Katilyn Ritchie and Mallory Weber, 8-4. Senior Jessica Young and freshman Christina Harazin were victorious at the No. 2 spot, claiming an 8-7 win over Rachel Stuhlmann and Maria Christensen after saving three match points.
In singles, Molnar posted a 1-6, 6-4, 6-6, 6-4 victory over Ritchie at the No. 1 spot. Molnar, the No. 81 player in the country, improved to 5-3 overall on the season. The Black and Gold also received a victory at the No. 5 position from Harazin. Harazin beat Jamie Mera 6-2, 6-4 to improve her record to 5-3 overall.
The Hawkeyes will return home to host Nebraska on March 13. Play will begin at 2 p.m. (CST) at the Hawkeye Tennis and Recreation Complex.
Missouri – 4
#65 Iowa – 3
1. Lynne Poggensee-Wei/Sonja Molnar (IOWA) def. Kaitlyn Ritchie/Mallory Weber (MIZZOU), 8-4
2. Jessica Young/Christina Harazin (IOWA) def. Rachel Stuhlmann/Maria Christensen (MIZZOU), 8-7
3. Marlen Hacke/Jamie Mera (MIZZOU) def. Cassandra Escobar/Ally Majercik (IOWA), 8-2
1. Sonja Molnar (IOWA) def. Kaitlyn Ritchie (MIZZOU), 1-6, 4-6, 6-6, 6-4
2. Mallory Weber (MIZZOU) def. Jessica Young (IOWA), 6-2, 6-2
3. Marlen Hacke (MIZZOU) def. Lynne Poggensee-Wei (IOWA), 7-5, 7-6
4. Maria Christensen (MIZZOU) def. Alexis Dorr (IOWA), 6-1, 6-1
5. Christina Harazin (IOWA) def. Jamie Mera (MIZZOU), 6-2, 6-4
6. Rachel Stuhlman (MIZZOU) def. Ally Majercik (IOWA), 6-3, 6-0