April 24, 2011
- Download your Iowa Hawkeye iPhone app!
- Iowa and the Big Ten Network
- Big Ten Network: Free Hawkeye Video
- 24 Hawkeyes to Watch
MINNEAPOLIS – – The University of Iowa women’s tennis team lost Sunday in its final regular season match. The Hawkeyes dropped a 6-1 decision against Minnesota (7-15 overall, 3-7 Big Ten) at the Baseline Tennis Center, falling to 6-15 overall and 3-7 in Big Ten play.
The Golden Gophers, 5-5 in home matches, swept the doubles point. The Hawkeyes, 3-8 on the road, were close at the No. 1 and 2 spots, but fell 8-6 at both positions.
In singles, junior Sonja Molnar secured the Hawkeyes lone point of the match with a victory at the No. 1 position. The Guelph, Ontario, native improved to 3-0 against Minnesota in her career with a 6-1, 4-6, 6-1 win over Alexa Palen. Molnar, ranked No. 110 by the ITA, finished the regular season with a 7-3 conference record for the second consecutive season. Molnar is 15-6 during dual match play this season.
Iowa will compete next at the 2011 Big Ten Championships April 28-May 1. Michigan will host tournament at the Varsity Tennis Center in Ann Arbor, Mich.
Minnesota (7-15, 3-7) – 6
Iowa (6-15, 3-7) – 1
1. Alessandra Ferrazzi/Doron Muravnik (MINN) def. No. 71 Sonja Molnar/Lynne Poggensee-Wei (IOWA), 8-6
2. Alexa Palen/Mariana Spilca (MINN) def. Christina Harazin/Jessica Young (IOWA), 8-6
3. Magdalena Wiecha/Peta Forsyth (MINN) def. Ally Majercik/Alexis Dorr (IOWA), 8-1
1. No. 110 Sonja Molnar (IOWA) def. Alexa Palen (MINN), 6-1, 4-6, 6-1
2. Alessandra Ferrazzi (MINN def. Jessica Young (IOWA), 6-0, 6-4
3. Magdalena Wiecha (MINN) def. Lynne Poggensee-Wei (IOWA), 7-5, 6-1
4. Doron Muravnik (MINN) def. Christina Harazin (IOWA), 6-0, 6-3
5. Yuliana Umanets (MINN) def. Cassandra Escobar (IOWA), 6-2, 6-3
6. Mariana Spilca (MINN) def. Ally Majercik (IOWA), 6-2, 6-3