Feb. 12, 2012
- Download your Iowa Hawkeye iPhone app!
- Iowa and the Big Ten Network
- Big Ten Network: Free Hawkeye Video
- 24 Hawkeyes to Watch
IOWA CITY, Iowa — The University of Iowa women’s tennis team beat rival Iowa State, 4-3, in the Iowa Corn Growers Cy-Hawk Series on Sunday at the Hawkeye Tennis and Recreation Complex. The Hawkeyes improved to 33-0 all-time against the Cyclones (0-5). Iowa is 3-0 this season, the best start for the Hawkeyes during head coach Katie Dougherty’s three-year tenure. Iowa last began a season 3-0 in 2008-09.
“I’m pleased with how we came out and played in doubles,” said Dougherty. “Iowa State did a very good job in singles and was ready to go from the first ball, while we weren’t at some spots. It was a good win for us with our backs against the wall. We have a lot to look forward to next weekend.”
The Hawkeyes claimed the doubles point by sweeping the Cyclones. Two Iowa duos improved to 3-0 during dual play. Senior Sonja Molnar and freshman Shelby Talcott won 8-1 at the No. 1 position against Jenna Langhorst and Maria Fernanda Macedo, while freshmen Ellen Silver and Katie Zordani topped Marie-Christine Chartier and Tessa Lang, 8-3, at the No. 3 spot.
Sophomore Christina Harazin and freshman Morven McCulloch improved to 2-0 this year. The pair defeated Simona Cacciuttolo and Ksenia Pronina, 8-4, at the No. 2 position. Iowa has gone 3-0 in doubles in all three of its matches this season and has won 20 consecutive matches when sweeping the doubles point.
In singles, Molnar pushed the Iowa lead to 2-0 with a 6-1, 6-1 victory against Macedo at the top spot. Molnar has won three straight-set decisions during dual play en route to a 3-0 record. The Guelph, Ontario, native is ranked No. 91 by the ITA.
After Cyclone wins at the No. 5 and 6 positions tied the score at two, Talcott regained the lead for the Hawkeyes by winning a 7-5, 6-1 decision against Pronina at the No. 2 position. Talcott is 3-0 in dual play.
McCulloch secured the Iowa victory with a win at the No. 3 spot. McCulloch, 3-0 in dual play, defeated Cacciuttolo 7-6 (2), 0-6, 6-2.
Iowa plays its first two road dual matches next weekend in Oklahoma. The Hawkeyes face Oklahoma in Norman at 1 p.m. (CT) on Saturday, Feb. 18 before traveling to Stillwater to play Oklahoma State on Sunday, Feb. 19 at noon (CT).
Iowa – 4
Iowa State – 3
1. #91 Sonja Molnar (IOWA) def. M-F. Macedo (ISU), 6-1, 6-1
2. Shelby Talcott (IOWA) def. Ksenia Pronina (ISU), 7-5, 6-3
3. Morven McCulloch (IOWA) def. Simona Cacciuttolo (ISU), 7-6 (2), 0-6, 6-2
4. Meghan Cassens (ISU) def. Christina Harazin (IOWA), 6-4, 5-7, 6-4
5. Jenna Langhorst (ISU) def. Ellen Silver (IOWA), 6-3, 6-3
6. M-C. Chartier (ISU) def. Katie Zordani (IOWA), 6-2, 6-1
1. Sonja Molnar/Shelby Talcott (IOWA) def. Jenna Langhorst/M-F. Macedo (ISU), 8-1
2. Christina Harazin/Morven McCulloch (IOWA) def. Simona Cacciuttolo/Ksenia Pronina (ISU), 8-4
3. Ellen Silver/Katie Zordani (IOWA) def. M-C. Chartier/Tessa Lang (ISU), 8-3