March 16, 2012
- Download your Iowa Hawkeye iPhone app!
- Iowa and the Big Ten Network
- Big Ten Network: Free Hawkeye Video
- 24 Hawkeyes to Watch
ORLANDO, Fla — The University of Iowa women’s tennis team won its first road dual of the season on Friday. Iowa defeated Central Florida, 4-3, at the UCF Tennis Complex in Orlando, Fla. The 73rd-ranked Hawkeyes improved to 6-5 this season.
“The team did a great job today,” said head coach Katie Dougherty. “We got a gutsy performance from Morven (McCulloch), as she battled back in the third set to clinch for us. There were a number of huge momentum swings throughout the match and we were able to use them to our advantage in the end. We’re happy to have our first road win under our belt and will be ready to battle a talented Harvard team tomorrow.”
Central Florida claimed the doubles point after taking two of three matches. Freshmen Ellen Silver and Katie Zordani topped Jenna Doerfler and Alexis Rodriguez, 8-5, at the No. 2 position. Silver and Zordani are a team-best 6-2 during dual play. The pair is 2-0 when teamed at the No. 2 spot
UI senior Sonja Molnar quickly erased the Hawkeye deficit with a 6-0, 6-1 victory at the top spot over Genevieve Lorbergs. Molnar leads the team with an 8-3 dual record.
A trio of freshman sealed the victory for Iowa. Shelby Talcott beat Alexis Rodriguez, 7-6 (7-5), 6-4, at the No. 2 position. Talcott moved to an even 5-5 in dual play. Ellen Silver also earned her fifth dual win, as she defeated Allison Hodges, 7-5, 6-4, at the No. 6 spot. Morven McCulloch overcame injury and a deficit to win, 7-5, 0-6, 7-6 (7-1), against Jenna Doefler at the No. 3 spot. After rolling her ankle in the second set, McCulloch fell behind 4-1 in the third. McCulloch fought back to win a 7-1 tiebreaker, as she used a service ace to claim the victory. McCulloch is 7-4 in dual play.
Sophomore Christina Harazin also battled back after falling behind in the third set. Harazin trailed against Josephine Haraldson, 5-2. Harazin couldn’t come all the way back as she dropped a 6-7, 6-0, 7-5 decision.
The Hawkeyes take on Harvard at 10 a.m. (CT) on Saturday at the UCF Tennis Complex.
#73 Iowa (6-5) – 4
Central Florida (4-9) – 3
1. Sonja Molnar (IOWA) def. Genevieve Lorbergs (UCF), 6-0, 6-1
2. Shelby Talcott (IOWA) def. Alexis Rodriguez (UCF), 7-6 (7-5), 6-4
3. Morven McCulloch (IOWA) def. Jenna Doerfler (UCF), 7-5, 0-6, 7-6 (7-1)
4. Taylor Dubins (UCF) def. Katie Zordani (IOWA), 6-1, 6-3
5. Josephine Haraldson (UCF) def. Christina Harazin (IOWA), 6-7, 6-0, 7-5
6. Ellen Silver (IOWA) def. Allison Hodges (UCF), 7-5, 6-4
1. Courtney Griffith/Genevieve Lorbergs (UCF) def. Shelby Talcott/Sonja Molnar (IOWA), 8-4
2. Ellen Silver/Katie Zordani (IOWA) def. Jenna Doerfler/Alexis Rodriguez (UCF), 8-5
3. Andrea Yacaman/Taylor Dubins (UCF) def. Ally Majercik/Christina Harazin (IOWA), 8-2