April 13, 2012
- Download your Iowa Hawkeye iPhone app!
- Iowa and the Big Ten Network
- Big Ten Network: Free Hawkeye Video
- 24 Hawkeyes to Watch
IOWA CITY, Iowa — The University of Iowa women’s tennis team downed Michigan State (8-11, 0-8 Big Ten), 5-2, on Friday at the Hawkeye Tennis and Recreation Complex. The Hawkeyes (8-11, 2-6 Big Ten) improved to 7-1 at home this season, their best home start since the 2004 team began 9-0.
Iowa won two-of-three matches to claim the doubles point. Sophomore Christina Harazin and freshman Ellen Silver won an 8-4 decision against Marina Bohrer and Dana Guentert at the No. 2 position. The duo was teamed for the first time during dual play. Harazin played doubles Friday for the first time since March 17 against Harvard. Senior Sonja Molnar and freshman Morven McCulloch topped Nicole Herzog and Michaela Silesova, 8-5, at the No. 1 spot to secure the first point of the match. Molnar and McCulloch own a 4-4 dual record as a pair.
In singles, Molnar stretched the Hawkeye lead to 2-0 with a 6-1, 6-0 victory at the No. 1 position against Olga Chernova. The Guelph, Ontario, native remained unbeaten in her career against Michigan State, improving to 4-0 against the Spartans. All four wins have been straight-set decisions. Molnar, currently ranked No. 103 in the ITA singles poll, moved to a team best 13-5 (4-3 Big Ten) during dual play.
McCulloch pushed the Iowa advantage to 3-0 after she defeated Bohrer, 6-4, 6-3, at the No. 3 spot. McCulloch improved her dual record to 10-9 (4-4 Big Ten) with the win.
Harazin sealed the Hawkeye win with her first Big Ten triumph of the season. Harazin downed Julianne Gruber, 7-5, 6-1, at the No. 6 position.
Freshman Katie Zordani won at the No. 4 spot. Zordani beat Katarina Lingl, 6-3, 6-3, to improve to 9-10 (3-5 Big Ten) in dual play.
The Hawkeyes close their two match weekend home stand on Sunday when they host 14th-ranked Michigan. Doubles play will begin at noon (CT) at the Hawkeye Tennis and Recreation Complex. Admission is free and fans in attendance will receive an autographed team poster.
Iowa (8-11, 2-6) – 5
Michigan State (8-11, 0-8) – 2
1. #103 Sonja Molnar (IOWA) def. Olga Chernova (MSU), 6-1, 6-0
2. Marina Bohrer (MSU) def. Shelby Talcott (IOWA), 6-4, 6-3
3. Morven McCulloch (IOWA) def. Michaela Silesova (MSU), 6-4, 6-3
4. Katie Zordani (IOWA) def. Katarina Lingl (MSU), 6-3, 6-3
5. Dana Guentert (MSU) def. Ellen Silver (IOWA), 7-6 (3), 3-4 (ret.)
6. Christina Harazin (IOWA) def. Julianne Gruber (MSU), 7-5, 6-1
1. Sonja Molnar/Morven McCulloch (IOWA) def. Nicole Herzog/Michaela Silesova (MSU), 8-5
2. Christina Harazin/Ellen Silver (IOWA) def. Marina Bohrer/Dana Guentert (MSU), 8-4
3. Julianne Gruber/Katarina Lingl (MSU) def. Ally Majercik/Katie Zordani (IOWA), 8-5