March 5, 2013
- Download your Iowa Hawkeye iPhone app!
- Download your Iowa Hawkeye Android app!
- Big Ten Network: Free Hawkeye Video
- 24 Hawkeyes to Watch
IOWA CITY, Iowa — The University of Iowa women’s tennis team fell, 7-0, today to No. 10 Nebraska at the Hawkeye Tennis and Recreation Complex.
“Nebraska proved why they’re No 10 in the country tonight,” said head coach Katie Dougherty. “They’re very solid at every spot. We competed well tonight and lost a couple close ones, but overall I’m pleased with how we looked tonight. We have two very good Big Ten teams, Northwestern and Illinois, coming this weekend, and our focus is shifted to them.”
Iowa nearly split the singles matches, dropping three contests in the third-set tiebreak. The Hawkeyes also nearly scored upsets at the top doubles position. Ruth Seaborne and Morven McCulloch, the 42nd-rated Hawkeye duo, led Nebraska’s 13th-rated Patricia Veresova and Mary Weatherholt, 7-5, before the match was abandoned. The Huskers secured the doubles point with wins at the No. 2 and No. 3 positions.
The Hawkeyes suffered three-set losses at the No. 1, No. 2, and No. 4 positions. Seaborne split the first two sets against No. 16 Mary Weatherholt, the defending Big Ten player of the year, before losing the third-set tiebreak, 10-5. She is now 2-2 this season against ranked opponents. Shelby Talcott and Caitlin Hindmarsh both rallied from one set down before falling in the third-set tiebreak. Hindmarsh’s loss at the No. 4 position was her first of the year.
The Hawkeyes return to action Friday at 3:30 p.m. (CT) when they host No. 8 Northwestern at the Hawkeye Tennis and Recreation Complex.
Iowa (5-3, 0-1), 0
No. 10 Nebraska (12-1, 2-0), 7
1. #16 Mary Weatherholt (Nebraska) def. Ruth Seaborne (Iowa), 7-5, 5-7, 10-5
2. Patricia Veresova (Nebraska) def. Shelby Talcott (Iowa), 6-1, 4-6, 10-7
3. Stefanie Weinstein (Nebraska) def. Morven McCulloch (Iowa), 6-3, 6-2
4. Maggy Lehmicke (Nebraska) def. Caitlin Hindmarsh (Iowa), 6-4, 4-6, 10-8
5. Janine Weinreich (Nebraska) def. Annette Dohanics (Iowa), 6-2, 6-2
6. Izabella Zgierska (Nebraska) def. Ellen Silver (Iowa), 6-2, 6-1
1. #42 Seaborne/McCulloch (Iowa) vs. #13 Veresova/Weatherholt (Nebraska), 7-5 (abandoned)
2. Weinstein/Weinreich (Nebraska) def. Talcott/Hindmarsh (Iowa), 8-3
3. Zgierska/Lehmicke (Nebraska) def. Silver/Dohanics (Iowa), 8-4