March 14, 2014
- Read the March issue of Hawk Talk Monthly
- Download your Hawk Talk Monthly iOS app
- Download your Hawk Talk Monthly android app
- Download your Iowa Hawkeye iPad and iPhone app!
- Download your Iowa Hawkeye Android app!
- Big Ten Network: Free Hawkeye Video
- 24 Hawkeyes to Watch
LINCOLN, Neb. – The University of Iowa women’s tennis team picked up its first conference win of the season on Friday afternoon with a 6-1 victory over Nebraska at the Nebraska Varsity Courts. The Hawkeyes were forced to play outdoors for the first time this season after Nebraska’s indoor bubble blew down.
The 70th-ranked Hawkeyes picked up their fifth straight victory and remain undefeated when winning the doubles point.
“The team battled well today,” said UI head coach Katie Dougherty. “We came ready to play and played the big points well. The team did a great job in the elements and set the tone in doubles.”
In doubles, the Hawkeyes secured victories at the No. 2 and No. 1 positions to take an early 1-0 lead. Junior Shelby Talcott and sophomore Annette Dohanics posted an 8-5 victory to pick up their sixth consecutive victory as a pair, and are now 3-0 at No. 2 doubles. Iowa’s top duo of senior Ruth Seaborne and junior Morven McCulloch picked up an 8-6 victory, giving them their seventh victory of the season.
The Hawkeyes never looked back, picking up five straight set victories in singles.
Iowa took a 3-0 lead with victories from McCulloch and Talcott at No. 2 and No. 3 singles. McCulloch improved her record to 7-2 while Talcott moved to 8-2.
Dohanics secured the victory for the Hawkeyes with a 6-2, 6-3 victory over Nebraska’s Mary Hanna at the No. 4 slot, extending her win streak to five matches.
Iowa picked up its final two victories of the day from Seaborne and freshman Aimee Tarun. Tarun remains undefeated this season after picking up her first career conference win over Nebraska’s Hannah Sulz at the No. 6 spot. Seaborne, ranked No. 86, improved to 7-3 at No. 1 singles with a 6-3, 6-3 victory.
“It felt great to get my first Big Ten win today and get that point to help the team,” said Tarun. “I’m proud of how our team competed and it’s a great start to our Big Ten season.”
The Hawkeyes travel to South Carolina on Tuesday, March 18, for a nonconference matchup with the College of Charleston beginning at 12:30 p.m. (CT).
1. #86 Ruth Seaborne (IOWA) def. Maggy Lehmicke (NEB) 6-3, 6-3
2. Morven McCulloch (IOWA) def. Izabella Zgierska (NEB) 6-2, 6-2
3. Shelby Talcott (IOWA) def. Lisa Andersson (NEB) 6-3, 6-1
4. Annette Dohanics (IOWA) def. Mary Hanna (NEB) 6-2, 6-3
5. Maike Zeppernick (NEB) def. Ellen Silver (IOWA) 6-2, 6-1
6. Aimee Tarun (IOWA) def. Hannah Sulz (NEB) 6-0, 6-2
Order of Finish: Singles (2,3,5,4,6,1)
1. Ruth Seaborne/Morven McCulloch (IOWA) def. Mary Hanna/Maggy Lehmicke (NEB) 8-6
2. Shelby Talcott/Annette Dohanics (IOWA) def. Izabella Zgierska/Maike Zeppernick (NEB) 8-5
3. Lisa Andersson/Hannah Sulz (NEB) vs. Aimee Tarun/Ellen Silver (IOWA) 6-7, unfinished
Order of Finish: Doubles (2,1)