Feb. 7, 2016
- Read the February issue of Hawk Talk Monthly
- Download your Hawk Talk Monthly iOS app
- Download your Hawk Talk Monthly android app
- Download your Iowa Hawkeye iPad and iPhone app!
- Download your Iowa Hawkeye Android app!
- Big Ten Network: Free Hawkeye Video
- 24 Hawkeyes to Watch
IOWA CITY, IA — The University of Iowa women’s tennis team defeated Marquette, 6-1 Sunday afternoon at the Hawkeye Tennis and Recreation Complex. The Hawkeyes are now 4-0 in the 2016 season.
Iowa started the day by clinching the doubles point. Dohanics and Thoms were the first doubles team in with a 6-1 win over Marquette, Looney and Tarun also had a 6-1 win in doubles play.
“The key today was fast starts, winning all six of the first sets in singles was key for us,” said UI head coach Katie Dougherty. “We competed well today and we’ve been able to translate the things we’ve been doing in practice well. I’m really pleased with everyone’s effort and where we sit at 4-0 heading into next weekend.”
Five Hawkeyes won their singles matches. The first Hawkeye to solidify a win over Marquette in singles was Zoe Douglas, 6-2, 6-1. Annette Dohanics, Aimee Tarun, Anastasia Reimchen, and Kristen Thoms followed suit all winning singles matches to help lock up another win for Iowa.
Anastasia Reimchen defeated Silvia Ambrosio, 6-1, 7-5 at the No. 1 position. At No.2, Kristen Thoms defeated Erin Gebes, 6-4, 6-1. Annette Dohanics locked up a singles win against Paula Tormos, winning 6-2, 6-1. Zoe Douglas defeated Diana Tokar at the No. 4 spot, 6-2, 6-1. Aimee Tarun defeated Courtney Hebard of Marquette, 6-3, 6-3.
Natalie Looney’s singles match extended into a third set, where she fell to Marquette’s Aleeza Kanner, 6-4, 5-7 (2).
Montana Crawford, Annette Dohanics, Zoe Douglas, Adorabol Huckleby, Carin Runefelt, Taylor Tamblyn and Kristen Thoms all have perfect records in both singles and doubles after today’s match.
The Hawkeyes return to action this Saturday with a doubleheader against UMKC and Illinois State at the Hawkeye Tennis and Recreation Complex. Admission is free.
IOWA 6, MARQUETTE 1
1. Anastasia Reimchen (Iowa) def. Silvia Ambrosio (Marquette) 6-1, 7-5
2. Kristen Thoms (Iowa) def. Erin Gebes (Marquette) 6-4, 6-1
3. Annette Dohanics (Iowa) def. Paula Tormos (Marquette) 6-2, 6-1
4. Zoe Douglas (Iowa) def. Diana Tokar (Marquette) 6-2, 6-1
5. Aleeza Kanner (Marquette) def. Natalie Looney (Iowa) 6-4, 5-7, (2)
6. Aimee Tarun (Iowa) def. Courtney Hebard (Marquette) 6-3, 6-3
Order of finish: (4, 3, 6, 1, 2, 5)
1. Gebes/Ambrosio (Marquette) led. Reimchen/Douglas (Iowa) 5-3 (Abd.)
2. Dohanics/Thoms (Iowa) def. Tokar/Daems (Marquette) 6-1
3. Looney/Tarun (Iowa) def. Kanner/Tormos (Marquette) 6-1
Order of finish: (2, 3, 1)