ATHENS, Ga. — The University of Iowa men’s tennis team was edged, 4-3, by 38th-ranked Arkansas on Monday in a match that lasted four hours. Monday’s match was an ITA Kickoff consolation match contested at the Lindsey Hopkins Indoor Courts on the campus of the University of Georgia.
Iowa started the match by capturing the doubles point, picking up victories on courts one and two. Kareem Allaf and Jonas Larsen bounced the Razorbacks’ top squad, 6-1. On court two, freshmen Will Davies and Piotr Smietana clinched the doubles point for the Hawkeyes with a 6-4 win.
Singles action began with No. 113 ranked Jose Salazar beat senior Josh Silverstein on court one to even the match. The back-and-forth affair was tied, 2-2, after Smietana won on court two (6-4, 6-4). The Hawkeyes regained a 3-2 advantage after freshman Joe Tyler won a close match on court three, 7-6, 7-6.
The Razorbacks rallied to win the match with victories in the final two singles matches, including a tight three-set match with Davies on court six to clinch the match (7-5, 5-7, 6-4).
Iowa travels to the state of Florida next weekend to face the University of Miami in Coral Gables on Sunday. First serve is set for 10 a.m. (ET).
QUOTING HEAD COACH ROSS WILSON
“We had great fight today from our guys to battle for four hours. We just didn’t win enough key points. Ultimately, you have to step up in the big moments and we came up short on a few courts today.”
(#38) Arkansas 4, Iowa 3
Jan. 29, 2018 | 10 a.m. (ET) | Athens, Ga. | Lindsey Hopkins Indoor Courts
1. #113 Jose Salazar (ARK) def. Josh Silverstein (UI): 6-1, 6-2
2. Piotr Smietana (UI) def. Adam Sanjurjo (ARK): 6-4, 6-4
3. Joe Tyler (UI) def. Oscar Mesquida (ARK): 7-6, 7-6
4. Josh Howard-Tripp (ARK) def. Kareem Allaf (UI): 6-2, 1-6, 6-4
5. Alex Reco (ARK) def. Jonas Larsen (UI): 7-6, 6-1
6. Jose Alonso (ARK) def. Will Davies (UI): 7-5, 5-7, 6-4
1. Allaf/Larsen (UI) def. Sanjurjo/Mesquida (ARK): 6-1
2. Smietana/Davies (UI) def. Salazar/Howard-Tripp (ARK): 6-4
3. Tyler/Jacoby (UI) vs. Terrell/Reco (ARK): unfinished
Order of finish: Doubles (1,2); Singles (1,2,4,3,5,6)