Nov. 4, 2011
- Download your Iowa Hawkeye iPhone app!
- Iowa and the Big Ten Network
- Big Ten Network: Free Hawkeye Video
- 24 Hawkeyes to Watch
WEST LAFAYETTE, Ind. — The University of Iowa women’s tennis team played against Vanderbilt and Illinois in doubles and faced Purdue in singles Friday at the Schwartz Tennis Challenge, a hidden dual tournament hosted by Purdue at the Schwartz Tennis Center. The Hawkeyes fell in all three matches.
Iowa dropped a 2-1 doubles decision against Vanderbilt, a 2011 NCAA Women’s Tennis Championships Sweet 16 team. Senior Cassandra Escobar and sophomore Christina Harazin won 9-8 (8) against Megan Gornet and Marie Casares while teamed for the first time this season.
Big Ten foe Illinois swept the Hawkeyes in doubles. Harazin and freshman Katie Zordani faced Chelcie Abajian and Breanne Smutko, ranked No. 56 in the ITA preseason doubles poll. The Iowa duo lost, dropping to 3-2 when paired this fall.
The Hawkeyes faced Purdue in singles. Iowa was defeated, 5-1. Escobar earned the Hawkeyes lone win, as she topped Kay Magi, 6-7, 7-6 (3). Escobar is 3-2 this fall. Freshman Shelby Talcott faced Purdue’s No. 1 player, Jennifer Rabot. Rabot, ranked No. 106 in the ITA preseason singles poll, won 6-3, 6-0. Talcott owns a 6-4 singles record.
The Hawkeyes return to the Schwartz Tennis Center on Saturday at 2 p.m. (CT) to play Vanderbilt in singles.
Iowa vs. Vanderbilt
1. Mira/Antal (Vanderbilt) def. Zordani/Silver (Iowa), 8-4
2. Radeva/Preeg (Vanderbilt) def. Talcott/Majercik (Iowa), 8-4
3. Escobar/Harazin (Iowa) def. Gornet/Casares (Vanderbilt), 9-8 (8)
Iowa vs. Illinois
1. Falkin/Kopinski (Illinois) def. Silver/Talcott (Iowa), 8-3
2. #56 Abajian/Smutko (Illinois) def. Harazin/Zordani (Iowa), 8-4
3. Allin/Jamieson (Illinois) def. Escobar/Majercik (Iowa), 8-4
Purdue vs. Iowa
1. #106 Jennifer Rabot (Purdue) def. Shelby Talcott (Iowa), 6-3, 6-0
2. Lynda Xepoleas (Purdue) def. Katie Zordani (Iowa), 7-5, 6-3
3. Mara Schmidt (Purdue) def. Ellen Silver (Iowa), 6-2, 6-1
4. Imogen Golder (Purdue) def. Christina Harazin (Iowa), 6-2, 6-1
5. Anna Dushkina (Purdue) def. Ally Majercik (Iowa), 6-4, 6-2
6. Cassandra Escobar (Iowa) def. Kay Magi (Purdue), 6-1, 7-6 (3)