Feb. 10, 2012
- Download your Iowa Hawkeye iPhone app!
- Iowa and the Big Ten Network
- Big Ten Network: Free Hawkeye Video
- 24 Hawkeyes to Watch
IOWA CITY, Iowa — The University of Iowa women’s tennis team topped Illinois Chicago, 6-1, Friday at the Hawkeye Tennis and Recreation Complex. It was the first-ever meeting between the two schools. Iowa is 2-0 this season. Both matches were played at home.
“I’m happy with how we competed tonight,” said head coach Katie Dougherty. “UIC is a good team and we played well. We’re looking forward to a battle on Sunday with Iowa State.”
The Hawkeyes won all three doubles matches, extending their win streak to 19 when sweeping the doubles point. Senior Sonja Molnar and freshman Shelby Talcott improved to 2-0 during dual play with an 8-1 victory over Elisa Simonetti and Teona Tsertsvadze at the top spot. Freshmen Ellen Silver and Katie Zordani also moved to 2-0 in dual play, as they defeated Linda Hricistova and Jana Knoppe, 8-4, at the No. 2 position. Sophomore Christina Harazin and freshman Morven McCulloch clinched the sweep win an 8-6 win against Haley Craig and Mariya Kovaleva at the No. 3 spot.
Iowa carried the momentum into singles, winning the first three matches to claim the victory. Harazin topped Craig, 6-1, 6-2, at the No. 4 position, McCulloch downed Knoppe, 6-3, 6-2, at the No. 3 spot, and Zordani won a 6-2, 6-1 decision against Hricistova at the No. 6 position. All three players advanced to 2-0 during dual play.
Talcott and Molnar padded the Iowa margin of victory with straight-set wins. Talcott, 2-0 in dual play, beat Simonetti, 6-1, 7-5, at the No. 2 spot. Molnar, ranked No. 91 by the ITA, moved to 2-0 during dual matches with a 6-4, 6-1 victory over Tsertsvadze at the No. 1 position.
The Hawkeyes return to the courts at the Hawkeye Tennis and Recreation Complex on Sunday at noon (CT) to face Iowa State in the annual Iowa Corn Growers Cy-Hawk Series. Everyone in attendance will receive free pizza, while kids will have the opportunity to win prizes as part of Campus Kids’ Day. There is no charge for admission.
Iowa – 6
Illinois Chicago – 1
1. #91 Sonja Molnar (IOWA) def. Teona Tsertsvadze (UIC) 6-4, 6-1
2. Shelby Talcott (IOWA) def. Elisa Simonetti (UIC) 6-1, 7-5
3. Morven McCulloch (IOWA) def. Jana Knoppe (UIC) 6-3, 6-2
4. Christina Harazin (IOWA) def. Haley Craig (UIC) 6-1, 6-2
5. Kathryn Sharples (UIC) def. Ellen Silver (IOWA) 4-6, 7-5, 1-0 (10-3)
6. Katie Zordani (IOWA) def. Linda Hricistova (UIC) 6-2, 6-1
1. Sonja Molnar/Shelby Talcott (IOWA) def. Elisa Simonetti/Teona Tsertsvadze (UIC) 8-1
2. Christina Harazin/Morven McCulloch (IOWA) def. Haley Craig/Mariya Kovaleva (UIC) 8-6
3. Ellen Silver/Katie Zordani (IOWA) def. Linda Hricistova/Jana Knoppe (UIC) 8-4